If bird watching is your thing, you have to know by now that simply hanging your feeders on tree branches don’t always work for the best. Squirrels and raccoons can use the branches to climb above the feeder and then slide down or jump to the feeder. If you don’t have additional protection against squirrels, your bird feed (and feeder) is bound to get eaten by these critters. This is where a bird feeder pole comes in. Such poles are dual purpose: they serve as sturdy bird feeder holders while protecting the feeder against shrewd squirrels. If you’re thinking of purchasing one, you should get nothing short of the best bird feeder pole. This is where I can help. Check out my reviews of my favorite bird feeder poles in the market today.
6 Best Bird Feeder Poles Comparison
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Best Bird Feeder Pole Reviews
- 1. Gray Bunny GB-6844 Premium Bird Feeding Station Kit
- 2. Ashman Premium Bird Feeder Pole
- 3. Gray Bunny Shepherd Hook
- 4. Gray Bunny GB-6819 Heavy Duty Deck Hook
- 5. Ashman Deluxe Bird Feeding Station
- 6. Super Tall Decorative Trio Hanger
- 7. Squirrel Stopper SQC05 Black Squirrel Stopper Pole
- 8. Squirrel Stopper (SPB09) Shenandoah Olympic Bird Feeder Pole
- 9. Ashman Black Shepherd Hook 92 Inch
- 10. Gray Bunny GB-6830B Heavy Duty Deck Hook
- 11. Kettle Moraine Squirrel Proof 2 Arm Bird Feeder Pole Set
- 12. Beau Jardin Shepherd Hook
- What To Look For When Buying a Bird Feeder Pole
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 12 Best Bird Feeder Pole Reviews
1. Gray Bunny GB-6844 Premium Bird Feeding Station Kit
I tried many bird feeder poles that have three-prong bases, but a lot has failed me. But the Gray Bunny GB-6844? No questions asked. It’s affordable and the best one!
This station kit has a fork-like, three-prong base made for much easier and faster installation. I just stepped on it and voila! I have a standing bird feeder pole! I think this one is to thank for because the pole is still standing even after facing strong wind and rain.
The three removable pole sections are easy to put together and reassemble. I asked if it’s possible to buy a separate pole extension if ever, and the seller said yes. Last time, I decided to put a baffle in the middle and it just took me less than an hour to add it. There are also ‘twin-top’ hooks that can hold bird feeders. Two arms are included for hanging more feeders and suet baskets.
More birds are coming to this pole recently, maybe because this looks like a tree to them. The arms seemed like branches that they can roost on. I also noticed that a lot of these birds usually go to the mesh trays and water bowls first. Probably they’re thirsty and that the mealworms, dried fruits, and nuts are the like ‘fast food’ for them.
I like that the materials are sturdy and made for heavy duty feeding. But there’s one thing that was off for me. It’s not really that rust resistant. After the rain, I saw leaking water with rust-like color from the pole sections. I checked it and saw rust forming in between the sections. That’s the only problem I found with this pole though.
- Has a three-prong base for a strong foundation and a water bowl
- Can hold multiple feeders
- Durable and sturdy
- Not rust-resistant
- ENTERTAINING: Feed and watch wild birds from the comfort of your home with a backyard feeding station! Attract a wide variety of songbirds...
- GIFT IDEA: A great gift idea for parents, nature lovers and children. Maintaining the feeding stand, ensuring it's well stocked with seed...
- EFFECTIVE: Twin top hooks are great for hopper, tube and nyjer feeders - effective in attracting smaller birds like finches, chickadees,...
- PREMIUM DESIGN: Rust resistant, heavy duty sturdy steel construction. Quality accessories, adjustable attachments, pole rod and hardware....
- GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer care....
2. Ashman Premium Bird Feeder Pole
True to its name, this bird feeder pole has everything you need, making it the best bird feeder pole system I’ve seen. You won’t have to search for additional feeders because Ashman Premium’s Bird Feeding Station Kit has it all: the pole, a platform feeder, and a bird bath. If you want to attract various types of birds by using different bird feeders, you can simply hang them in any of the four hooks.
What I love most about this bird feeder pole is that it’s the complete deal. The hooks at the top can be used for larger bird feeders, while the other smaller hooks can be used for small to medium feeders. The position of the birdbath, platform feeder, and two other hooks can be adjusted by loosening and tightening the wing nuts that hold them to the pole. You can adjust them to make it look more pleasing, or to make feeding more comfortable for the birds, and to make the pole balanced and stable.
Those without garden tools will be happy to know that you won’t need to dig a hole to install this feeder pole. All you have to do is position the pole on the spot you like, step on the horizontal portion of the prongs, and allow your weight to dig the pole to the ground. Voila! You’re all set. It digs eight inches into the ground.
Installing all the parts once the pole arrived from my online purchase was easy as a pie, too. Any beginner will be able to use this without any hitch. The only issue I have with this pole is that the welded parts are not too welded for my taste. They seem satisfactory, but based on experience, these are the first parts that will rust first, so I hoped they would put more attention on those parts and weld them better. They did use powder coating to delay rusting though, which is a good thing.
- Multi-purpose (it has everything you need for bird feeding and watching)
- Adjustable parts
- No tools necessary to install
- Powder-coated to prevent rusting
- The welded joints can be improved
- SPECTACULAR: Wild birds will naturally be attracted to the multi hook bird feeder and water station and you can comfortably enjoy the birds...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Rust resistant, sturdy steel pole stands 91 inches tall and 22 inches wide. Easily adjust components to any desired...
- MULTIPLE HOOKS AND TRAYS: Bird feeder comes with two large top level hooks which are ideal for hanging longer and larger feeders and is...
- GIFT IDEA: Caring and feeding the wild birds is selfless act which brings immense joy and this bird station will be an ideal gift for your...
- GUARANTEED SATISFACTION: Ashman offers high quality products for lawn and garden and always trying to exceed expectations and offering...
3. Gray Bunny Shepherd Hook
If you want to use something simple and blends easily into the landscape, then you ought to get a shepherd hook. Shepherd hooks are thin and tall poles that have a curved hook at a top to hang planters, lanterns, and yes, bird feeders. One good choice for a shepherd hook is the one from Gray Bunny, a recommended brand when it comes to bird feeders and accessories.
The best thing about Gray Bunny Shepherd Hook is its durability. It is made of a solid metal rod that is half an inch in diameter. This is actually thicker than most shepherd hooks available today. It is very sturdy and doesn’t bend easily. Although the recommended hanging weight is 17 pounds, based on experience, you can hang up to 30 pounds without the pole bending down because of the weight. That is how sturdy this pole is!
Another thing I really like about this pole is that the metal has been coated and treated to prevent rusting. This is an important feature since your pole will be exposed to all four seasons – winter, spring, summer, and fall – so you should use a pole that can withstand these seasons.
The only downside to this feeder pole is that it stands only a couple of inches more than four feet – a bit small than you would expect. Although it is listed as 65 inches long, more than 10 inches of it will be buried in the ground when you set it up. For its height, though, the buried length is good enough to prevent the pole from tumbling down from the weight of what it is carrying.
- A metal rod is solid from tip to tip
- Can hold a lot of weight
- Blends well with the environment
- Is only more than four feet long once buried in the ground
- MULTI-PURPOSE: Beautify your outdoor living space by hanging planters, flower pots, lanterns, garden lights, mason jars, wreaths and holiday...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: We recommend avoiding any shepherd hooks that require assembly, are hollow, or have plastic parts, all of which are things...
- STYLISH: Traditional look and dark finish adds elegance and beauty to your garden. Stunningly complements anything that hangs from it. With...
- VERSATILE: Endless applications include using them to hold shooting targets, isle markers, buckets of sand for ashtrays, a bird house \ bath...
- GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer care....
4. Gray Bunny GB-6819 Heavy Duty Deck Hook
If you’re looking for a bird feeder pole that allows you to hang the feeder right by your porch or patio, then this heavy duty bird feeder pole made by ever-reliable Gray Bunny is perfect for you. Instead of having to dig the pole down to the ground, you simply have to install and tighten this hook on your porch railing. This is great for hanging bird feeders up the house, say on the second floor.
Just like Gray Bunny Shepherd Hook pole, this deck hook is made of heavy, solid metal; hence it is very sturdy. If you want to adjust the height of the hook, you can do so with the hand swivel that you can easily twist to loosen up or tighten. This also allows you to swing the hook towards or away from the railing, which can be useful when refilling the feeder. Just make sure to really tighten up the screw to prevent the hook from swaying on its own when birds come to feed.
I like that it is 37 inches long, which means even if it is attached to your deck, squirrels and raccoons still can’t reach the bird feeder.
This deck hook can be attached to railings that are up to two inches thick. The only problem with that is if your railing is thicker, it won’t be stable or may not be set up at all, which is a bit disappointing.
- Made of heavy-duty, solid metal
- Swings towards and away from the railing for easy refilling
- Keeps squirrels away from the feeder
- Can only be attached to railings of up to two inches thick
- Easy install: Adjustable base clamp accommodates railings up to 2 inches thick
- Multi-purpose: Beautify your outdoor living space by hanging bird feeders, suet baskets, planters, flower pots, lanterns, holiday...
- Premium quality: Rust resistant, heavy duty steel construction
5. Ashman Deluxe Bird Feeding Station
If you’re an avid bird enthusiast like me, having multi-use feeder poles is essential. Shepherd hooks I can place in other parts of my property, but since I want a central location where my family and my guests can enjoy the view of several types of birds feeding at once, I like looking into poles with multiple appendages. This Deluxe Bird Feeding Station for Outdoors is one of my favorites for this purpose.
The pole itself is about one inch in diameter and made of durable metal. It has been painted well so I haven’t seen any rusting, even if it has been exposed to rain for some time. As I previously mentioned, I like that it has many accessories attached to it: four hooks, a birdbath, and a mesh tray. Two of the hooks can be repositioned throughout the pole as it is attached to the pole with a clamp and a wingnut. I would, however, recommend that the attachments not be placed too low on the ground; else squirrels can reach up and climb. It is tall enough anyway, so you have a lot of leeways.
My only concern with this bird feeder pole is that the hooks themselves are a bit flimsy. You can easily see that you can’t hang very heady items, else the hooks themselves will bend to the weight, even if the pole can handle it. In essence, don’t place planters on the hooks. But other items such as regular pole mounted bird feeders are fine and can be held well.
- Easy to install
- Pole is stable and durable
- Has multiple additions
- The hook rods are thin and are a bit flimsy
- ✅ PREMIUM DESIGN: Rust proof, strong steel bird feeder pole stands 7 feet and 8 inches tall and 22 inches wide. the bowl and mesh tray are...
- ✅ENTERTAINING: Hang as many different kinds of bird feeders from the four hooks which are provided and each bird feeder will contain a...
- ✅ACCESSORIES: The bird station comes with heavy duty twin top hooks, two small arms, mesh tray, bird bath, and five prongs legs to insert...
- ✅MEMORABLE GIFT: Gift it to your grandparents, mom and dad or children in the house. They will cherish the gift forever and over joyed by...
- ✅GUARANTEED SATISFACTION: No questions asked return policy. If for some reason you are not happy with the product, simply return it back...
6. Super Tall Decorative Trio Hanger
If you want something really tall, something that stands eight feet or more off the ground, then you should check out Super Tall Decorative Trio Hanger. This feeder pole is exactly 99 inches tall from the ground, not counting the 21 inches that are inserted to the ground for stability. The Super Tall Pole makes use of the screw-type twister ground socket to help you puncture the ground and place the pole firmly without having to dig the soil around it.
It is a great deterrent for squirrels since the critters couldn’t climb up that tall a pole. Even if you don’t place anything on the pole to make it slippery, the squirrels still couldn’t climb up. Just don’t place the pole anywhere near trees or ledges. Six feet away from such things is good enough so the squirrels won’t be able to use them as jumping points. If you have really determined squirrels though, then just add a baffle halfway through and all your problems will be solved.
Even though this item is really tall, it doesn’t sway to the wind and all parts are attached to each other firmly. And the base penetrates deep in the ground, making this a really stable pole.
My only concern about this is not the product itself, but the very sticky labels when it arrived. It took a while to remove them completely, and they covered the pole almost entirely, so you can’t just leave them be.
- Stands 99 inches tall when installed
- Stable, with more than 20 inches in the base in the ground
- Twister ground socket allows for easy installation
- Made of sturdy and durable materials
- Very sticky labels that covered almost the entire pole
- Not completely squirrel proof
- PREMIUM HAND FORGED POLE – Erva’s Super Tall Decorative Trio Hanger is easy to assemble, easy to install, ultra-sturdy, and made in the...
- INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING – (1) Super Tall Trio Hanger measuring 98” above ground or 92” above ground from the hanging point, (1) 20”...
- 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – If you’re not satisfied with Erva’s 5 Piece Feeder Pole Set, you can return it within 30 days for your...
- BEAUTIFUL GARDEN ADDITION – Erva’s Super Tall Trio Hanger is the perfect addition to your garden. Make your garden stand out with this...
- PERFECT GIFT FOR THE OUTDOOR ENTHUSIAST – This product is the perfect Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, or Birthday gift for...
7. Squirrel Stopper SQC05 Black Squirrel Stopper Pole
If you’re looking for a bird feeder pole, might as well find one that has its own squirrel protection for bird feeders, right? I bought my own Squirrel Stopper SQC05 because it is one of the most popular ones with incorporated squirrel proofing. And wow, this 16-gauge black steel pole and baffle system is the bomb!
The parts are of quality and easy to assemble. Its pole frame has 2-inch tubes that can stand at around 6-feet high each. The four arms can house a feeder each, or you can add a water bath or maybe even nesting materials for the birds.
Its screw-like bottom for base made the pole resistant to strong wind. However, when I initially screwed it in clay soil, I saw that it wobbles a bit. So what I did was find a spot with more compact soil to prevent the risk of the pole falling over. I admit I was worried last month because there was a strong gust of wind and I forgot to take it down for a while. But, the pole still stood fine!
The Squirrel Stopper pole has a detachable, bird-perching Victorian design at the top that makes it more attractive, not only to birds but even to humans. The steel is powder-coated and you can see that it has a thick, dense finish unlike that of a painted one. This is great in preventing rust build-up.
Now, here’s the real deal breaker: the squirrel stopper. The cone-like shaped baffle is heavy for the squirrels. I was watching a squirrel attempt to climb up the other day, but it didn’t make it. Hooray for having more bird feed for the birds!
The only issue I had with this is that I had to use a stool to properly refill feeds in the feeder. I don’t have a problem with the price, but my friends who bought the same model think that it’s a bit too pricey.
- Quality and durable materials
- Powder-coated to avoid rust
- Perfect design for easy installation
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Effective baffle system
- Too high, you might need a stool
8. Squirrel Stopper (SPB09) Shenandoah Olympic Bird Feeder Pole
Are squirrels among your worst problems when it comes to attracting and feeding wild birds? You are not alone. If you don’t want to keep buying new bird feeders (since the squirrels sometimes break them), or you want to avoid overbuying seeds because the squirrels are getting to them first before the birds, then you should purchase a feeder pole that stops these critters in their tracks. That is what the Squirrel Stopper Shenandoah Olympic Bird Feeder Post is for.
The Shenandoah is equipped with its very own squirrel stopper right in the middle of the post. It’s very successful at turning squirrels away. Just make sure you follow the instructions on how to install the baffle properly, else it won’t be effective. The instructions are included in the package and are easy to follow anyway. If you experience any difficulty during installation, just watch the videos on Squirrel Stopper’s website to guide you through. The new version of the Shenandoah has a baffle made of metal so squirrels won’t be able to chew through it.
What I love most about this product is that it is highly durable. I’ve had it for two years now, and it’s not showing any wear and tear. It doesn’t show any signs of abuse by the squirrels or by the harsh weather it has endured. The black paint that prevents rusting didn’t chip off, which is great.
It is also very stable, even with a height of 7.5 feet off the ground. It is installed on the ground with the help of a built-in auger that allows you to just screw the poles in.
- Works great for keeping squirrels away
- A bit pricey
9. Ashman Black Shepherd Hook 92 Inch
If you’re looking for a simple pole with a hook to hang your bird feeder on, this 92-inch tall pole might just be the one for you. Once set up, it’s almost invisible, so it won’t intrude with any of your garden aesthetics. Although the rod is only 15 millimeters thick, it is definitely adequate enough to hold a bird feeder up.
Setting it up is a breeze: you just have to step on the installing rod at the base, lean your weight in, and voila! You’re done. The curved hook is 12 inches wide, so you can place bigger (or wider) bird feeders. The rod is powder coated, so you won’t have to worry about it rusting anytime soon.
The only issue I have with this feeder post is that squirrels can easily climb up. What I did was install a squirrel baffle, and away the squirrels went.
The best thing about this pole is that it’s totally windproof. We have really strong winds in the area and you will be surprised at how much it can withstand the wind; as if there’s no wind at all! Even when the bird feeders sway to the wind, the pole still holds its ground, thanks to the stabilizing prong at the base.
- 92 inches tall
- Not squirrel proof
- DYNAMIC USES: This 92 inch high 15MM (0.6 inch) diameter thick and 12 inches wide Shepherd hooks will add beauty to your outdoor living...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Super quality steel construction which is 30% more thicker than competition. Powder coating to last for several seasons to...
- STUNNING: Vintage look and black finish will adds elegance and beauty to your garden. Tall shepherd hooks have a glossy shine and look...
- MULTI-FACETED: Endless uses of these hooks and only your imagination can limit you and some of the uses we suggest are: hanging flower...
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: With a life-time guarantee, Ashman offers a full-refund if you're not satisfied!
10. Gray Bunny GB-6830B Heavy Duty Deck Hook
If deck hanging is your style, one of your options in Gray Bunny’s B-6830B Model. This angled hook is 30 inches long, preventing a mess when birds flock the bird feeder that you hang on its hook. Installing is easy – you just need to find the perfect spot on your railing, fix the clamp, and then tighten the screw using the knob at the bottom. No assembly required!
What I love most about this product is its solid metal rod. Many hooks are hollow metal and bend easily, but not this one. It is really a heavy duty bird feeding station. You can hang anything with a weight of up to 10 pounds. You can see that the item is finely made by the look of the welding between the clamp and the rod itself. This is the spot where many deck hooks fail, and I’m happy to see that this one was properly made. Even if it’s exposed to rain, sun, and snow, I didn’t see any changes to it, which is a good thing.
The downside to this deck hook pole is that it can only be attached to railings that are just an inch and a half thick. Although the clamp has a two-inch gap, you would need at least half an inch to make sure the pole is secured.
- Heavy-duty, solid rod
- Easy to install
- Isn’t affected by changing weather
- Can only be attached to railings up to 1.5 inches thick
- MULTI-PURPOSE: Beautify your outdoor living space by hanging bird feeders, suet baskets, planters, flower pots, lanterns, holiday...
- SMART DESIGN: 30 inch (76.2) long pole allows you to position your feeder or planter slightly away from your deck to avoid a cluttered feel...
- EASY INSTALL: Adjustable base clamp accommodates deck railing caps up to 1.6 inches (4 cm) thick. No tools necessary! Great hardware to...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Rust resistant, heavy duty steel construction. Weather proof black powder coated cast iron. A dark finish stunningly...
- GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer care....
11. Kettle Moraine Squirrel Proof 2 Arm Bird Feeder Pole Set
I have been using Kettle Moraine products for a while now, and I like a lot of them. Their products are made in the USA, which is a good thing when it comes to quality control. So there was no hesitation when I purchased their very own version of a squirrel proof bird feeder pole. This three-piece tubular pole is one inch in diameter and is 85 inches long.
Installing this pole is easy since it has an auger bottom that lets you screw the pole to the ground with much effort. Its black powder coating prevents it from rusting up, which is a delight.
Some people may get worried since the pole is hollow, but don’t be. It’s made of really sturdy steel. Although it only has two hooks or arms at the top, it can easily carry up to four. The arms extend up to a foot away from the pole, so placing large bird feeders won’t be a problem.
Does the squirrel baffle work? It surely does! This is one of the rare poles with a baffle that is really effective, making me convinced that this is the best squirrel proof bird feeder pole. I would advise you to install the pole away from trees though because squirrels can use these as jumping points. The baffle would be rendered useless if the squirrels can jump directly to the bird feeders, so install the pole at least three feet away from any jump off points.
If there’s any drawback to this pole, it’s that it only stands more than five feet when properly installed. The base part needs to be buried three inches shy of two feet, taking up a lot of the overall height. This can be advantageous to those who don’t want a really tall pole though. Although it’s not as tall as I expected, it is very much stable.
- Powder-coated to prevent rusting
- With baffle
- Only stands five feet once installed
- Squirrel baffle included
12. Beau Jardin Shepherd Hook
Shepherd hook poles are one of the simplest, easiest and safest to install. If you are looking for something that is not too fancy, this shepherds hook bird feeder from Beau Jardin can definitely work.
Most shepherd hooks in the market, but if you would notice, I only feature thicker ones, at least half an inch in diameter, because I believe these are the ones that will last longer. Beau Jardin’s shepherd hook is half an inch thick solid wrought iron; this can definitely last a lifetime without bending. It is really heavy duty and can handle even the biggest bird feeders in the market.
What I like most about this hook is that it blends well in any garden or lawn. The hook itself is bent so that whatever you place here will not easily be dislodged by strong winds. The pole doesn’t sway to even the strongest winds since its base and prong holds it well, making it a very stable piece.
If there is something I don’t like about this piece, is that it is on the small side. This is probably the smallest free-standing pole that I’ve tried. The entire pole is 65 inches in height, but a good 11 inches goes straight to the ground, acting as a base. So you are left with only 4.5 feet of the pole above ground. When you hang something, it’ll likely be 3.5 feet off the ground. If you have squirrels in the area, this can be a problem. It is easy to install though; you just step on the horizontal part of the prong to bury the base deep.
- Doesn’t sway with the wind
- Easy to install
- Made of solid wrought iron
- A bit short at a height of 4.5 above ground
- Durable and High : This double black heavy duty garden shepherds hook 65 inch tall and 1/2 inch diameter one piece wrought iron metal garden...
- Multi-Purpose: Beautify your outdoor living space by garden hanging planters, flower pots,bird feeder poles,lanterns,candle holders,garden...
- Anti-Rust : This shepherds hook 65 inch will came ready to use and there no plastics or complex assembly involved, simply stake the shepherd...
- Stylish and Beautiful : The heavy duty shepherds hook great for outdoor wedding aisle hook crook stake hanging flower balls and mason...
- Customer Care : We are dedicated to provide premium products for you and offer impeccable customer care to you. Don’t wait any longer and...
What To Look For When Buying a Bird Feeder Pole
When you set-up feeders for the birds in your area, it needs to be in a safe place, away from bully thieves. You might want to put your feeders on areas with less climbing aids like trees or bushes. You should also find something where squirrels and other rodents can’t have access to.
The best solution is to buy a bird feeder pole. This is a structure installed on the ground that can hold a feeder at a height of about two to three meters. Its materials can be steel, aluminum, or galvanized iron (G.I.) or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipes. Some use wood, but it is not really advisable since molds and termites can destroy it.
When buying poles, you must have a checklist at hand. What I do is I try to remember the initials of bird feeder poles: B-F-P.
- B is for Baffles.
Baffles are responsible for “preventing access to intruders”. These look like domes or umbrellas and are attached to a bird feeder pole above or below the feeder. It can also be a hollow-cylindrical material with a larger outer diameter than the pole. The inner diameter should be small enough to block the climbing animal. Cylinder baffles must also be heavy so that its weight will push the squirrel down – even if they try to climb up. Some feeders come with baffles, some don’t. But there will always be a way to add a baffle if it’s not included in the pole.
- F is for Function.
A bird feeder pole should be a safe and comfortable feeding stand. These may also have a perching mechanism or cling-on parts. Usually, the poles have hooks to hang feeders on.
Available pole designs can withstand strong wind and rain, especially since these will be placed outside, in full glory of elements. Painted ones are better to avoid rust-build up, though there are also those that are made of stainless steel.
Bird feeder poles take advantage of the ability of birds to travel from above, as well as the weaknesses of the rodents to climb up a smooth pole with no foothold. Feasting birds will be like “Nuh-uh! You’re not invited,” to ever trying hard squirrels… Every. Single. Time.
- P is for Price.
For all the offered features, it should have a reasonable and affordable price. Higher priced poles are not always better than cheaper ones; you have to read the reviews to find out which one really performs well.
You can check poles out on hardware, pet stores, or do-it-yourself stores. But if you’re too busy and find it more convenient to buy it online, you can definitely do so. If you intend to import and buy at a larger volume, prepare for extra fees, too. It will include shipping and freight-on-board (FOB) costs.
Now, aside from my BFP guide above I also check for one feature: the warranty. If an item has a warranty, it is a sign that the company is confident with their product. This is enough assurance for me since if in any case the pole gets destroyed while under warranty, I can always have it replaced, which is a huge plus. If it doesn’t get damaged, then that’s even better!
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is a bird feeder pole?
You may encounter problems while feeding and attracting birds. Some birds don’t come back because their food supply ran out or there are intruders around. It can also be of a burden if the feeder falls and spill out the food everywhere. You don’t want that; but it happens frequently if you hang your feeders on tree branches. Here’s a solution: buy a bird feeder pole.
This is a two to three-meter-high pole used to aid in a more effective and protected feeding. Some make it as high as five to eight meters, although this pole height is not very common. It is usually made of solid or hollow steel and alloy.
Pipes like the galvanized iron (G.I.) ones or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) are also possible materials. You can install bird feeder poles directly on the ground. For a sturdier pole installation, some put cement or pile of rocks around it. Some buy feeder poles from home improvement or pet stores, though others design and install it on their own in a DIY fashion.
There’s a bit of a problem though: some are of low-quality materials. It is best to choose reasonably priced ones. Don’t settle for the cheapest. You might get poles that bend over time or with a slight wind.
How does it work?
It enables hanging and placing of feeders at the highest possible spot. It helps prevent rodent attacks and competition, while making bird food easily accessible to the wild birds you are targeting. This pole should be strong enough to withstand the simultaneous feeding of birds. Sometimes, it has additional features such as hangers, hooks, or dishes that provide roosting spots.
What are the different types of bird feeder poles?
Knowing pole types can be confusing, especially when you try to look it up on the internet. You’ll see a lot of words and memorizing it is a hassle! To make things simpler, we can classify the poles in two ways. First is by the materials used; second is by the attachments and/or functions. This is way easier to get familiar with the types!
Feeder Pole Type Based on Materials
The first classification tells us about what the pole is made of. Here are two common bird feeder pole types based on materials used:
- Metal and alloy poles
This is usually made of steel and Galvanized Iron. It typically comes with welded prongs that help poles have a secured attachment and stronghold on the ground.
- PVC poles
PVC types don’t have prongs. Usually, you dig a hole, about 1 foot or so, place the bottom part of the pole in it, and cover it up again. It will not wobble or fall, provided you cover it up properly and tightly with soil. You can put cement or pile big rocks around it to make it more secure.
Bird Feeder Pole Type Based on Form and Function
The next classification is a bit detailed. We will see how they are grouped according to the installations and attachments.
- With baffle set
Yes, it has baffles. These prevent the squirrels to go up the pole to the feeder. The poles are easy to install and makes feeding safe. Those sold in the market can cater to a larger volume of feeds and can accommodate a large bird capacity.
There are other features and provisions for added parts installation. It can be an advantage or disadvantage. Your poles may lose its balance if full. However, every additional attachment comes at a cost. It may sound a no-no for the pocket but think of how much you can save on feeds if they are only eaten by the birds. Makes sense, right?
- With hangers
Some units of this type have baffles installed, but some do not. These usually have two to four removable hanger installations. These are durable and rust-resistant. The ones with no baffles may have a possibility of squirrel access. Find ones that can have a provision for baffle extension. But if not, try putting used cooking oil on the poles. Let’s see if they can still climb up!
The hangers with the feeders should always be balanced. It’s fine if you only place one feeder at one side, but placing two feeders at one side and none on the other can cause the pole to bend or tip over.
Some bird watchers put a stopper at the end to make sure that the feeders will not slide from the hanger. Maintaining it could be a bit tedious though, especially if it’s done daily.
- With hook
This is less expensive than the first two types. It has one hook for each ‘branch’. There’s no baffle, so it is not that squirrel-proof. Again, put used oil to deter squirrels.
This feeder pole is sturdy and easy to install. The best thing about this is that you’re sure that there will be no accidental feeder detachments as the hooks are usually welded. Its diameter is smaller compared to other feeder poles. It is an advantage because the pole blends in well with the surroundings. You might even take it for a thin tree!
- With feeding stations
This type can have a platform-like feeder or dish. You can either put feeds directly or place a separate feeder on top of it. It is ideal if you want to have more birds perching on a flat area to rest. You may put a bowl of water, berries, or nuts on it. Some may have a pair of hooks at the topmost part, too.
This pole type can be a function while preventing squirrel attacks without baffles. You know what to do: get your used cooking oil.
One good thing about this type is that maintaining the balance on the dishes will not be your problem. It is pleasing to the eye, so birds are not only the ones that it can attract; your friends and visitors can closely check it out.
- DIY or Customizable
This one’s like a hybrid of all the bird feeder poles mentioned above. Such homemade bird feeder pole systems may or may not have a baffle system. But it can have provisions for easy installation. You are free to make your own design depending on the need and requirements of your feeding style. You can choose the materials and possibly save more. You are your own boss when you want this type.
Why do you need a bird feeder pole?
So, now you already learned the know-how about these feeding essentials. All you need is a little more convincing why bird feeder poles are must-haves. Here are the advantages of using a bird feeder pole:
- You have a designated feeding space. That way, it will not mess up the whole yard.
- You can have a controlled feeding.
- Attracting birds will be easier because the color, height, and perch suit them well.
- You can say goodbye to annoying squirrels so not only will you save on feed, but you will also prevent the feeder from getting destroyed.
Convinced yet? I recommend several poles above. Start reading through the reviews to find one that suits your needs best!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular bird feeder pole brands?
For feeder poles, find those that aid in safe and controlled feeding. You can find these four to five star rated poles in the nearest stores – or even online! Here’s the list of what you may want to check out:
- Squirrel Stopper
- Kettle Moraine
- Gray Bunny
Where to set up the pole?
Setting up the pole is like finding the best spot for your feeders. It should be quiet and away from pollution and predators. Find a spot far from trees, shrubs, or home extensions (e.g. spout, roof, or drain), since you want to avoid the squirrels jumping on top of feeders and stealing food.
How to install bird feeder poles?
Well, this depends on the type of bird feeder poles you have.
For those made of steel or alloy, check if it has prongs. If yes, directly place it on the soil using a hammer. You may hit it or use a short wooden plank to assist you for even load distribution. Plus, you will not accidentally hit your hands.
But if there’s no prong, installing it is like how you install a pipe-type bird feeder pole. First, dig a hole with a diameter a little bigger than the diameter of the pole. The depth should be about 1 – 1.5 feet. Place it in, then cover it with soil. Make sure it is compact and flat. Then, put cement around it to have a strong, solid foundation.
If the pole you purchase comes with instructions, make sure to read through them as there may be some special steps to securing that specific pole.
How to stop squirrels from climbing pole?
Squirrels can be annoying sometimes, especially if they always get what’s not for them. But remember that they are still animals. You should still treat them well even if you seriously want to get them out of the pole and feeder. So, here are a few safe ways to avoid them from climbing:
- Install or buy poles with baffle set;
- Apply oil on the poles. Used cooking oil will do. Don’t put grease because it can be poisonous;
- Place it away from platforms where they can jump from; and
- Cover or make a barricade around the pole.
How to make a squirrel proof bird feeder pole?
The tried-and-tested way is to put a baffle set. It can be the umbrella type or the hollow cylinder. Place it below the hooks, hangers, and dishes. If you don’t want to buy one, you can make your own.
How to make bird feeder pole slippery?
There are two non-harmful ways to make the pole slippery.
- Use oil. Choose oil products that are safe for the animals and for you. Used cooking oil can be your first option.
- Get banana peels or leaves. Scrub in on the pole. You’ll make it shine, too!
How to keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
Keeping squirrels out of the pole is the first step. Again, you may opt to find a baffle set and/or make the pole super slippery for them. It’s safer to have a bird feeder that is squirrel proof. But if they got past through these, you should purchase a squirrel-proof bird feeder.
Do I need a squirrel baffle?
Yes, you do! If you want a worry-free feeding, buy a bird feeder pole that has it. If you already have a pole, buy a separate set and attach it.
How to care and clean?
Start with the top part, especially the dishes. Scrape off excess feeds and scrub it with warm water and detergent. You may want to clean it twice to thrice a week.
To avoid rust, paint it once or twice a year. For a shiny and slippery pole, you can coat it with varnish or wax. Or if you want a natural alternative, scrub it with banana peels and leaves.
Where to buy?
Any hardware or home depot stores have these now. You can either visit or call Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot near you. If you want to order with just a few clicks, order it online at Amazon.
A bird feeder pole is a great way to place a bird feeder out for wild birds to feed on. It can also be the answer to your problems with squirrels, rats, and mice, if equipped with the right accessories. When buying a feeder pole, you would want to check if it is durable, stable, has baffles and that it can keep the feeders safe. These poles should also be budget friendly. If you already found what’s best for you and your family, go ahead and buy it! Install the poles and enjoy a free bird show in your very own backyard. Trust me, having the best bird feeder pole is so much better than hanging your feeder on tree branches or leaving it out for rodents to take advantage of.
Last update on 2021-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API