How does it feel to have birds wake you up in the morning with their cheery tunes? Wouldn’t it be awesome to see colorful ones fly by your windows every few minutes, making you feel positive all throughout the day? Nobody in the world would want to thwart them, but if you want your avian friends to more than just visit your garden, you should get them something to make them stay. And what better way than to get them settled at your place and form a family there?
Although there are many birds who like settling on tree branches and in the bushes, there are loads of Northern American birds that prefer nesting in cavities. These could be carved out spaces in trees or in rocks. But most of all, it could be birdhouses. Not just typical, unattractive birdhouses, the best birdhouses available today.
If you haven’t tried purchasing birdhouses in the past, don’t worry. I’ve done all the work for you by trying different houses for different types of birds until I’ve narrowed them all down. Here are my recommendations.
- Top 10 Best Hummingbird Feeders
- Top 12 Best Bird Feeder Poles
- Top 15 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders
6 Best Bird Houses Comparison
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Best Bird Houses Reviews
- 1. Woodlink Wooden Bluebird House
- 2. AQUEENLY Hummingbird Houses
- 3. Dawhud Direct Hand-Painted Bird Houses
- 4. CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Bird House
- 5. Nature’s Way Bluebird Box Houses
- 6. JCs Wildlife Screech Owl House Cedar Nesting Box
- 7. S & K Mfg. Family Purple Martin Barn
- 8. Bird Loveee Outdoor Bird Houses Feeder
- 9. Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH1 Cedar Wren Houses
- 10. Wood Smith USA Bird House for Bluebird Finch Wren Chickadee
- 11. Red Carpet Studios Birdie in The Woods Birdhouses
- 12. Oojami Design Your Own Wooden Birdhouses
- What To Look For When Buying Bird Houses
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 12 Best Bird Houses Reviews
Cedarwood is one of the best materials for bird feeders and birdhouses because it attracts birds well and it lasts for a really long while. If properly treated, it can even repel termites and insects.
The bluebirds in my area simply loved it! They moved in the moment I hung it up and had three cute chicks. My only problem with this bluebird house is that even house sparrows love it. Once the bluebird family left, house sparrows move in and wouldn’t leave.
This bluebird house is awesome except for being able to attract house sparrows too. I suggest you use a sparrow spooker to prevent sparrows from trying to nest while bluebirds are already nesting inside.
- Made of red cedar
- Half-inch entrance hole (best for bluebirds)
- Easy to clean
- Attracts house sparrows too
- Constructed of reforested, kiln dried, inland red cedar
- Ornithologically designed to attract bluebirds
- One 1/2-Inch hole is ideal for eastern bluebirds
- A 1/2-Inch air ventilation gap is provided at the top and a drain hole at the base
- Easy open front to make cleaning easy, Made in the USA
2. AQUEENLY Hummingbird Houses
Hummingbirds spend spring and summer in North America. If you want your place to be where hummingbirds can breed, this woven birdhouse from Aqueenly is a great choice.
This hanging house is made from dried and treated hibiscus. I like that you can hang it on branches in trees near your home and they look absolutely at home in the environment. It doesn’t look as if people placed it there, which is nice. The best thing about this birdhouse is that when hummingbirds leave for the winter, you can take the house inside and use it as a hanging planter or something similar!
I believe the only downside to this item is that it is very light that it easily gets blown sideways.
- Made of dried and treated hibiscus
- Blends well with the environment
- Can be used inside the home when birds are away for the winter
- Too lightweight
- ❤NATURAL MATERIALS: Use natural hibiscus grass, dried, long time to storage, etc. Environmentally friendly and durable, strong and...
- ❤100% HAND-KNITTED: Hand-woven from natural materials, each one is unique. No chemical addition, natural and environmentally friendly.
- ❤ABOUT THE SIZE: The size of The hummingbird house is approximately 4.5 x 4.5 x 8.7 inches and the hole size is approximately 1.6 x 1.8...
- ❤WIDELY USED: Mainly used in home, office, outdoor gardening, indoor and outdoor decoration, storage, planting flowers, jewelry, holiday...
- ❤TIPS TO USE: Natural material. It can effectively dissipate heat and evacuate rain in summer. When the temperature is slightly lower, you...
3. Dawhud Direct Hand-Painted Bird Houses
If you’re looking for a decorative birdhouse that will also serve as an accent in your garden, then this hand-painted one by Dawhud Direct will definitely fit the bill.
I like that this one is made of poly-resin, which means it is more durable and will last longer than woven or wooden houses. It is also painted quite well, with the details right in place. I was also able to clean it easily with the plug underneath,
One thing I don’t like is the jute cord. The fibers disentangle quickly, thinning the cord out. I had to replace the cord as I am wary of birds building a nest inside only to have the house fall to the ground.
- Made of poly-resin
- Nice design and very detailed painting
- The jute cord thins out easily
- Wonderful gift for any bird or nature lover and perfect addition to your deck or patio
- Birdhouse will accent your home or garden
- Uniquely crafted and includes jute cord attached securely for hanging
- Removable clean-out plug on the bottom. Hand-painted and made of polyresin.
- Measures: 7"W x 6"H, hangs 18". Fully Assembled, No other hardware required.
4. CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Bird House
If you want to provide a safe place for the birds that are nesting, there is no better product to give them than the CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Bird House.
I really like this birdhouse. The design is fantastic. Its blue, yellow, and white color scheme is very easy on the eyes. It is also durable and weatherproof, making it an ideal outdoor decoration. The birds can also easily go in and out the birdhouse.
In summary, I can say that the CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Bird House is an excellent product. It is durable, lightweight, colorful, and spacious. If you need the best birdhouse for your garden or backyard, this product will surely make you happy every day.
- Made of wood and metal
- Squirrels can easily access it
- Delightful birdhouse made from wood and metal
- Accented with colorful cutouts of garden delights
- Features a sliding door on back for cleaning purpose
- Adds fun and cheer to any garden decor
- Excellent gift for any bird or nature lover
5. Nature’s Way Bluebird Box Houses
Birdhouses need not only be weatherproof and insect-proof but also predator-proof. If you are looking for a birdhouse for your garden or backyard that is both, the Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH3 Cedar Bluebird Box House is the one for you.
I absolutely like this birdhouse. Its natural unpainted and unvarnished color really attracts birds. In addition, it is made of weather and insect-resistant cedar wood.
Another thing that really impressed me is the predator guard. Small birds almost have no chance against carnivores so having one really keeps them safe.
One thing that disappoints me is that the roof easily cracks. Rain and dust can easily penetrate the interior. But all in all, I am confident to report that the Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH3 Cedar Bluebird Box House is an amazing product. This birdhouse will make sure that the birds can nest safely in your garden or backyard.
- Made of insect-resistant cedar
- Has a predator guard
- The roof easily cracks
- Crafted from Insect and Rot Resistant Premium Cedar with a Water-Based Protective Stain
- Air Vents Allow for Maximum Air Ventilation Through Wall and Floor Openings
- Clean-Out Doors Provide Easy Access for Cleaning
- Predator Guard Extends the Entrance Hole to Protect young Birds Against Predators
- Pole Mount or Flush Mount Installation Options - All Included Hardware is Rust-Free
6. JCs Wildlife Screech Owl House Cedar Nesting Box
If you hate rodents, it is only right that you take care of its natural predator – the owls. Providing a birdhouse for these nocturnal creatures will surely add beauty to your property.
I love Screech owls. This is the reason I bought this product. Made of cedar wood, I like that it is easy to mount and easy to clean. In fact, it has drainage holes so water can easily wash off the poop, grime, and other dirt. Also, the front door easily swings open to let the owl in and out of the birdhouse conveniently.
What I don’t appreciate is the quality. After only six months, the roof cracked. I had to fix it using a sealant.
After listing all the pros and cons, I can say that the JCs Wildlife Screech Owl or Saw-Whet Owl House is a magnificent product. Owls love it and the birdhouse really looks good in any garden, patio or barn.
- Easy to clean
- Easy to mount
- Has drainage holes
- Has a hatch door
- Easily cracks
- MADE IN INDIANA: The Screech Owl box is manufactured in the USA by JCS Wildlife.
- ENTIRELY HAND-MADE: Made by hand using Cedar Wood at our JCs Wildlife location
- DIMENSIONS: Overall dimensions of this owl box are 9.75" Wide x 14.5" Tall x 10.25" Deep. For best results mount 10 to 20 feet high in a...
- ENVIRONMENTAL: Easy to Mount, Clean, and Help enrich local ecosystem
- DESIGN ALLOWS PROPER DRAINAGE: The front door of this owl house swings up for easy cleaning and also has drainage holes in the bottom for...
7. S & K Mfg. Family Purple Martin Barn
If you like martins, you need a birdhouse that is not only durable but also easy to set up. This product from S & K Mfg. will keep you delighted all the time.
This birdhouse is so perfect. It can house up to 16 It is easy to clean and easy to set up. I also like the fact that it’s made of UV-grade plastic. The paint does not easily fade no matter how long the birdhouse is exposed to the elements.
If there’s one minor flaw that I find upsetting, it is the shape of the holes. However, I still believe that the 16 Family Purple Martin Barn from S & K Mfg. is an awesome product. It is durable and very stress-free to use. If you want to see martins in your garden or backyard, this one is the right birdhouse for you.
- Easy to set up
- Easy to clean
- Can house up to 16 martins
- Made of UV-grade plastic
- The holes make it difficult for the birds to get out of the birdhouse properly
8. Bird Loveee Outdoor Bird Houses Feeder
Decorating a garden is never easy. However, if you have the right décor, you can certainly make any space beautiful. This décor could be the Bird House Feeder made by Bird Loveee.
This birdhouse/feeder is terrific. It is easy to mount and easy to clean. The feeder really helps attract birds. Finally, it is a very good decoration on any garden, patio, and backyard.
One disappointment that I had is this product is not weatherproof. After being exposed to the elements for three months, the walls and the roof started to crack. But all things considered, I can say that this birdhouse it totally amazing. It is an attractive piece of decoration and a good place to house wild birds.
- Has a feeder
- Easy to clean
- Perfect decoration
- Not weatherproof
- ATTRACT MORE BIRDS TO YOUR GARDEN - Got no time to head outdoors and bond with nature? Our bird feeder brings nature right into your...
- PERFECT GIFT FOR PARENTS OR THE ELDERLY - The sound of birds singing calms the senses and relaxes the mind, especially for elderly people....
- EASY TO FILL & CLEAN – As soon as it arrives on your doorstep, our bird feeder house comes ready to use. It features clear windows for you...
- BEAUTIFIES THE GARDEN - A garden without birds just looks uninteresting and lifeless. Our birdhouse feeder adds much-needed life, color and...
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - If you are not satisfied with how our product performs, just let us know so we can provide a full purchase...
9. Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH1 Cedar Wren Houses
Chickadees and wrens are beautiful birds. Seeing them in your garden or backyard is a very nice sight indeed. A good birdhouse can even make them stay longer. This is what the Nature’s Way Bird Products CWH1 Cedar Wren House aims to achieve.
This product is one of my favorites. This birdhouse is compact, is made of lightweight materials, and can be cleaned effortlessly. I like how this birdhouse is made of non-toxic material. This makes it totally safe for the birds especially to those that are laying eggs. Finally, the small air vent provides ample amount of air for the chicks inside.
What I don’t like is the fact that this birdhouse is not weatherproof. It was June when I saw some cracks on the roof of the birdhouse. With a help of some sealant, I was able to solve the problem. In conclusion, I can say that this birdhouse is one of the best I’ve seen so far. It is compact, lightweight, and easy to clean. It is also insect-resistant. If you want to help wrens and chickadees survive, this birdhouse can provide a safe place for them.
- Made of insect-resistant cedar
- Has an air vent
- Attracts chickadees and wrens
- Not weatherproof
- Made with insect and rot-resistant premium cedar and rust-free stainless steel hardware
- Clean-out door provides easy access for cleaning
- 1 1/8" hole keeps out sparrows and larger birds
- Vinyl coated steel hanging cable included
10. Wood Smith USA Bird House for Bluebird Finch Wren Chickadee
I have always liked purchasing products that are made locally since it means I am somehow helping the livelihood of our countrymen. This is one of the main reasons why I purchased this birdhouse by Wood Smith USA.
With its 1.5 inch hole, this birdhouse can accommodate many types of birds, such as finches, small to medium woodpeckers, chickadees, bluebirds and more. It is also made without preservatives which is great if you are worried some preservatives may harm the birds.
What I don’t like about this birdhouse is that its sides and edges are too roughly made. One time a splinter in one of the corners scratched my skin while cleaning. I had to use a sandpaper to smoothen the edges so it won’t happen again.
- Made in the USA
- Made without preservatives
- Can accommodate varying types of birds
- The sides and edges are too rough
- Hand made from all natural Rustic Western Red Cedar-No finishes or preservatives
- Easy open door for cleaning, Weather Resistant
- Made in the USA by carpenters with over 40 years experience
- Designed for use by many species of wild birds; Entrance hole is 1 1/2 inches
- Mounting hardware, sturdy weatherproof screws and instructions included, Simple, easy installation
11. Red Carpet Studios Birdie in The Woods Birdhouses
If you are looking for a birdhouse with a striking design that will not only serve as a birdhouse but also a decoration, I suggest getting this one from Red Carpet Studios.
It is one of my absolute favorites as it really looks fun when birds fly out of its mouth. Aside from this entertaining feature, it is well-crafted and durable. Even if I left it in my garden for a whole year long, exposed to sun, rain, and snow, it didn’t break or crack.
What I don’t like about this item is that the hole is a bit too small for many birds, except for bluebirds and small finches. Medium to large birds won’t fit, though.
- Made of high-quality resin
- Looks amazing and well-detailed
- Hole is too small
- Sculpted face bird house resembles an authentically carved wood piece and adds charm to your yard
- Measures 7.25-inch wide x 14-inch tall x 4.5-inch deep
- Cast of quality resin and hand painted for appeal; long lasting beauty and durability
- Elf-like appearance and long beard; bird enters home through mouth
- Easily mounts to wall or tree with single nail; contains cleanout hole in back
12. Oojami Design Your Own Wooden Birdhouses
None of the previous ones work for you? Then why not opt for a birdhouse that you can design yourself? If so, this birdhouse set from Oojami may just be the one for you.
What I like most about this product is that it comes in a set. You can choose which doors or holes would work best for the birds you are trying to attract. If you have kids, it would be a fun activity to customize and decorate these avian houses with them.
What I believe could be improved is the size. The houses are a bit too small for my liking. Even if bluebirds fit in here, if they have three chicks or more, it would be quite a squeeze.
- Different types of doors available
- 12 piece Assorted Unfinished Mini Wood 4 Inch Bird Houses
- Made of 3/16" thick and 1/4" thick plywood and measure 3.5 inches wide x 4 inches tall
- Great craft for schools, camps, churches and other groups Use at home for a fun rainy day activity.
- Perfect For Kids Crafts, Parties, Table decor, wedding favors &more
What To Look For When Buying Bird Houses
Bird houses are essential to helping bird propagate. If you are a bird lover and would want to see more birds frequenting your area, then you should prepare the best kinds of birdhouses available in the market. However, there are hundreds of birdhouses out there, so how are you to choose?
Here are some factors you should consider:
the hole size will determine the size of the bird that can enter your birdhouse. The smaller the hole, it would make sense that only smaller birds can get in and lay eggs. Bigger holes can accommodate larger birds such as woodpeckers, but keep in mind that in case a smaller type of bird decides to nest there, they are in trouble of getting attacked by predators. This can be solved by placing the birdhouse more than five feet from the ground.
some birds want their nest to be spacious enough for them to be able to move around a bit, while others want it to be tight and cozy to be able to keep it warm. Some want their nesting place to be deep rather than wide so they can place more twigs to create a nest. Therefore, when buying a birdhouse, you should know what your target bird wants in a home.
of course, what the birdhouse is made of is one of the most important factors. You would want your birdhouse to last more than one nesting cycle, right? Good materials for a birdhouse are red cedar wood, resin, hard plastic, or a combination of these three.
it is necessary that your birdhouse is durable enough to withstand the sun, rain and even snow. You wouldn’t want the birdhouse to break while there are unhatched eggs inside, would you?
Easy to Clean
after a family of birds have lived, laid eggs, hatched the eggs and left the birdhouse, there would surely be a lot of mess inside. As the one in charge of housekeeping, you should be able to clean the inside of the birdhouse easily. Keeping it clean is necessary to prevent the spread of disease, prevent rodents from getting cozy, and to attract a new bird couple to nest there.
This means there must be an easy way to clean it up with the help of a drainage plugged hole, a hatch door or a removable roof.
if you would be placing your birdhouse in your garden, you should also keep the design in mind. This goes both ways: to attract birds to nest in it, and to beautify your landscape.
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is a bird house?
It is a tool used by bird watchers to provide different species of birds a place to breed and build a nest. This is the place where female birds lay their eggs and incubate them until they hatch.
How does it work?
Birdhouses attract birds that prefer to nest in cavities rather than in open spaces. Every birdhouse has a hole which serves as the doorway. The bird that chooses to nest in a birdhouse would then fill the inside of the birdhouse with twigs and leaves to make it more “homey” for when the eggs are laid.
What are the different types of bird houses?
The types of birdhouses vary based on how they are set up. These are:
- Wall-mounted birdhouse – this type of birdhouse is attached to a tree, a wall or a fence. The back is either screwed in or hooked to wherever you want to attach it.
- Pole-mounted –this type of birdhouse stands erect, with the base clamped on to a mounting pole.
- Hanging birdhouse – this variation allows you to simply hang the house on any branch or even a bird feeder pole. This types sways in the wind so the cord must be strong enough not to break when birds are nesting inside.
Why do you need bird houses?
If you want to keep attracting birds while providing them a safe place to multiply, then having a birdhouse is important. You can provide food for them and they can visit your garden, but they will always stay where someone has placed a space where they can nest.
Birdhouses are also necessary especially in locations where people’s houses have invaded areas that used to be where wild birds nest. In essence, you are helping to prevent these wild birds from becoming endangered.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best bird house brands?
There are literally hundreds of birdhouse brands in the market today. But not all of them are created equal in quality and price.
If you are looking for a good birdhouse to mount in your garden, backyard, or property, here are some of the brands that bird enthusiasts usually purchase:
- Nature’s Way
- JCs Wildlife
- S &K Mfg.
- Bird Loveee
- Dawhud Direct
- Red Carpet Studios
- Wood Smith USA
How to make bird houses?
If you don’t like the existing designs of the birdhouses that are available in the market, you can always make one.
Here’s what you will need:
- Wood glue
- An old bowl (2 to 3 inches deep)
- A hook
First, draw a simple sketch of how you want your birdhouse to look like. Determine how tall, wide, and long the birdhouse is.
Next, cut the cedar wood according to the estimated dimensions of your plan or sketch.
Assemble the walls, roof, and door using wood glue. Use screws to reinforce every corner of the birdhouse.
Place the old bowl in front of the door. This will serve as a feeder to attract birds.
Place a hook on top of the roof. Hang it on your chosen spot in your garden, or backyard. Make sure that squirrels won’t reach it easily.
Where to put blue bird houses?
The most ideal location to mount a bluebird house is on an open spot in a rural area. Although bluebirds have been spotted on urban areas, they nest better on rural places. If you live in rural areas, though, place them in your garden or yard, where there are bushes and trees to help them feel safe.
When do you clean out bird houses?
If you own a bird house, the most ideal time to clean it is once you have confirmed that the last fledgling has left. Don’t wait too long to clean else you will repel birds and attract rodents. Of course, don’t clean it when there are bird occupants.
How to attract birds to bird houses?
The best way to attract birds to your birdhouse is to place bird seeds or bird meals in areas close to it. Once the birds get accustomed to the food, they will come back on their own. Birds like nesting in areas where food is easily available nearby.
Where to buy?
You can purchase ready-made birdhouses on your favorite pet stores such as Pet Smart and PetCo. They are also available in home improvement stores such as Home Depot and Wal-Mart. If the design that you have in mind is not available, you can always go to online shops. Amazon.com is one of the best websites to launch your search.
If you live in an urban area and yet wild birds frequent your place, placing food out for them may not be enough to help them survive. Once birds understand that your garden is a safe place for them to find food, their next step would be to look for a place to “settle down”. Many wild birds prefer cavities in trees and dead logs, but that may not be available all the time.
Preparing a birdhouse for them would be a nice gesture. But you know what’s ideal? It’s preparing the best bird houses. These would work wonders in attracting the right kinds of birds and providing them the safety and warmth that they need to produce young ones.
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API