Squirrels and raccoons are the bane of bird watchers everywhere. These crafty little creatures can be very persistent when it comes to getting what they want. They will jump up four feet from the ground, jump from branches or rooftops, and even chew through barriers in order to get to whatever they want. And what they want are usually – you guessed it – bird feed. Whether they be suet cakes or bird seeds, squirrels would want a piece of those for lunch or dinner.
But how do you keep them away from the food that you have prepared for a wild bird? The answer is simple – use the best squirrel proof bird feeder. Such tools will not only be a place for you to place food safely for the birds, these will also keep food robbers away.
You’re here because you are looking for the best one but can’t decide which one to pick, right? Worry not, I have personally tested dozens of bird feeders and have narrowed them down to the best of the best. Hey, I’m an enthusiastic bird watcher! So without further ado, here are my top choices.
Top 6 Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders Comparison
Table of Contents
- Top 15 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Reviews
- 1. Squirrel Buster Standard Squirrel-proof by Brome
- 2. Droll Yankees Yankee Whipper Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
- 3. Squirrel Solution200 Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/6 Feeding Ports
- 4. Woodlink Absolute II Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeder Model 7536
- 5. Droll Yankees Yankee Flipper
- 6. Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Wild Bird Feeder Mixed Seed Sunflower Heart Version
- 7. Squirrel Buster Plus by Brome
- 8. Perky-Pet 336 Squirrel-Be-Gone Wild Bird Feeder
- 9. Brome 1015 Squirrel Buster Classic Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Feeding Ports
- 10. Perky-Pet 338 Squirrel-Be-Gone II Country House Bird Feeder with Weathervane
- 11. More Birds X-1 Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder with 4.2-Pound Bird Seed Capacity and Four Feeding Ports
- 12. Perky-Pet Copper Panorama Bird Feeder
- 13. Gray Bunny GB-6860
- 14. Homestead Super Stop-A-Squirrel Bird Feeder
- 15. Stokes Select 38069
- What To Look For When Buying A Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 15 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Reviews
1. Squirrel Buster Standard Squirrel-proof by Brome
Squirrel-proofing your bird feeder is indeed a challenging prospect. It requires complicated defense plans in order to outwit this annoyingly smart rodent. If you feel that you are at the end of your wits, you can try using this wonderful bird feeder called Squirrel Buster bird feeder by Brome.
I like so many things about this particular bird feeder. First is how it can be assembled without using any kind of special tool. In my opinion, a product is good if you can make it without using complicated tools.
The next thing that I really enjoyed about this product is how it really deters squirrels. The materials used in making this bird feeder are steel and plastic made from RoxResin. Once a squirrel gets a bite, it will leave a bad taste in their mouth.
Another delightful thing about this product is the spring-loaded mechanism. Once it detects an intruder, the weight of a squirrel will automatically shut all the seed ports denying the animal access to the seeds inside. Only small birds will be allowed to perch and feed.
Meanwhile, it is ultraviolet-resistant so the bird feeder always looks new no matter the weather condition. The paint job deflects sunlight, therefore preventing major color fading. After hanging this bird feeder for three months on a tree just within my property, its outside appearance is still magnificent.
One noticeable bad feature of this particular bird feeder is how the openings of the dispenser get clogged by large seeds. It doesn’t happen with a bird mix though, only when you use purely large seeds like black sunflower seeds.
- The spring-loaded mechanism can be adjusted
- Has a ventilation system which keeps the contents fresh
- Can be assembled without using special tools
- UV-resistant so the exterior looks new always
- Chunky seeds such as sunflower seeds usually get stuck because the dispenser’s openings are quite small
- TRULY SQUIRREL PROOF: the weight of an adult squirrel automatically closes the shroud denying access to seed.
- NEED FOR CLEARANCE: hang providing an 18-inch/47-cm CLEARANCE on all sides.
- CHEW PROOF: all feeder parts exposed to squirrels are made of chew proof materials.
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED: our feeders are designed to be dismantled by hand into individual components without the use of tools.
- SEED VENTILATION SYSTEM: our patented Seed Ventilation System keeps the seed fresh longer attracting more wild birds.
2. Droll Yankees Yankee Whipper Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
If you intend to feed small to medium sized birds without providing access to squirrels, the Droll Yankee Whipper is an amiable choice. Much like other squirrel-proof feeders, this one is also weight activated. This feeder has four feeding ports and four metal perches for the birds to rest upon. When it detects anything greater than the weight of a medium-sized bird, the metal perch bends down, causing the persistent squirrel to fall down. The perch is actually spring-loaded and calibrated to carry only up to two ounces of weight. Even bigger birds will be repelled by this feeder.
I love that this feeder can hold different types of bird food — sunflower, mixed seeds, some nuts, and even fruit. The main tube is made of UV-treated polycarbonate, which will surely last several years. The metal parts are powder coated. Even after three years of use, I haven’t seen any rusting, which is great. If you have tons of birds in your area, you may need to buy a couple of this feeder as it only has four ports.
It holds up to five pounds of bird seed and can be refilled easily though. Cleaning is not very complicated as well.
Probably the only downside to this feeder is that it is a bit expensive. But once you calculate your losses for seeds eaten by squirrels and larger birds, you would realize that this squirrel-proof feeder is worth the investment.
- Easy to clean
- Easy to refill
- Weight-activated perches to keep squirrels away
- Made of durable materials
- Cannot be pole-mounted
- CAPACITY: Tube bird feeder holds up to 5 pounds of birdseed; 4 seed ports
- EFFICIENCY: Internal baffle evenly disperses seed to all 4 ports
- SQUIRREL-PROOF: Curved perches allow birds to feed but collapse under the weight of a squirrel
- DURABILITY: Powder-coated metal base and cap; UV-stabilized polycarbonate tube
- MOUNTING: Measures 8-3/4 x 8-3/4 x 28 inches; stainless steel hanging wire reduces motion to prevent seed spill
3. Squirrel Solution200 Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/6 Feeding Ports
Have a lot of birds to feed and squirrels to watch out for in your area? Stop squirrels and invite more birds into your backyard with Squirrel Solution 200, a squirrel-proof bird feeder that can hold up to 3.4 pounds of seed. It can accommodate more birds than other feeders as it has six ports for birds to feed from.
The best thing about this feeder is that all exposed parts are made of metal — reducing the risk of squirrels chewing through the feeder when they get frustrated or in a vain attempt to get the seeds inside. So how does it work to keep squirrels out? Simple. It has a metal cage they call shroud that is weight activated. The moment squirrels cling to it, the shroud slides down to close all available ports. Some squirrels would attempt to bend the metal (yes, some are that witty), but the Squirrel Solution 200’s metal cage is thick enough to prevent squirrels from doing what they want with it. This one is really very sturdy. There are no cheap parts with this feeder.
Refilling SS200 is very easy as it comes with its own seed refilling funnel. After refilling, just make sure to keep the funnel with your seeds so as not to lose it. Water doesn’t get in much even if it rains heavily, which is great so as to keep the seeds fresh and prevent molding.
The only problem I encountered with this feeder is that the perch is a bit small for bigger birds such as blue jays, cardinals and pileated woodpeckers. Some of them just give up altogether, while others (such as woodpeckers, who can cling to the cage), still come back and try to feed.
Those who don’t want to hurt squirrels will be happy to know that this feeder won’t do that to them. No flinging or falling down. This feeder will just frustrate the little critters so much that they’ll give up and leave of their own accord.
- Has six ports to feed more birds
- Exposed parts are made of metal
- Doesn’t hurt squirrels
- Comes with a free seed funnel
- Has a lifetime service warranty
- Perches are too small for larger birds
- A BUSY FEEDER TO ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF BACKYARD BIRDS
- TRULY SQUIRREL-PROOF: Openings in the shroud align with the feeding ports, providing birds access to the food. When a squirrel climbs onto...
- FREE SEED FUNNEL: use it to fill the feeder and then store it with the seed.
- RECOMMENDED BIRD FOOD: Black oil sunflower or/and safflower seeds
- LIFETIME CARE: This is how we support you and our planet. Should you need a part covered under our warranty, we will provide it for free to...
Tired of having to refill your bird feeder every few days? Then get this squirrel-resistant bird feeder from Woodlink. This one can store a whopping 12 pounds of bird seed! Depending on the bird population in your area, this is enough to last anywhere between one and four weeks!
There’s a lot to love about this bird feeder. Aside from being big enough to last you weeks without refilling, this model is made completely with powder coated steel. I love its rough green color, although it also comes in electric blue. It is fully made of metal, so squirrels won’t be able to defeat it by chewing. Believe it or not, I’ve had this feeder for more than five years now and it’s still good as new!
However, as its name implies, this feeder is just squirrel-resistant, not squirrel-proof. This means squirrels are still able to get to it, albeit with difficulty and great effort. But a few adjustments can make this bird feeder shoo squirrels away. For instance, I saw a squirrel set one of his hind legs on the pole, the other leg on the perch and his hands on the edge of the upper part of the platform, effectively distributing his weight and preventing the perch from sliding down to get rid of him. One of the tricks to prevent this from happening is adjusting the weight lever to the lightest weight. You can set it to medium or heavy, depending on the weight levels of the squirrels in your area.
It comes with a metal hanger and a squirrel proof bird feeder pole to mount your feeder on. This eliminates the need to buy whatever accessory you need however way you want to install it.
- Comes with metal hanger and pole mount
- Made completely of metal
- Powder coating lasts several years
- Can hold up to 12 pounds of bird mix
- Easy to refill
- Not completely squirrel proof
- AbsoluteII Squirrel-Proof, has feeding ports on bo
- Steel construction,polycarbonate windows above fee
- Closing mechanism is adjustable by weight
- Baffles help reduce wasted seed. Large 2 gallon ca
- Includes a heavy-duty hanger and 4- section steel
5. Droll Yankees Yankee Flipper
If there’s one thing squirrels hate, it’s a motorized bird feeder. Having a Droll Yankee squirrel proof bird feeder in your property will definitely teach squirrels some lesson. And you might even have a little bit of fun watching the squirrels’ attempts.
I like so many things about this particular bird feeder. First is the motorized rotating perch. In my personal opinion, nothing compares to it in terms of performance. Squirrels run away from terror once they get a taste of the spinning perch. Although most of them come back for more, they are definitely in for another round of spin!
I personally like how four birds can perch and feed at the same time. Their combined weight won’t activate the motorized perch, so they can feast on the seeds in peace.
Another positive feature of this bird feeder is its durability. I can hang this bird feeder anywhere without worrying if it will break once it hits the ground. Squirrels may climb all they want but the seed chamber won’t even get a single crack or damage. On the other hand, the 17-inch seed chamber can store up to five pounds of seeds. The plastic seed chamber is so smooth, squirrels and other sneaky animals won’t get a proper foothold to successfully mount their theft.
One negative thing that I have noticed is the limitation of the batteries for the motorized perch. A squirrel got away with its stealthy move when the battery ran out of energy. Good thing I have noticed it immediately or else the rodent might have looted the whole stock.
But aside from having to check regularly that the battery still has some power, this squirrel-proof bird feeder is perfect for your needs. Afterall, once squirrels experience being rotated, I find that they don’t want to try it again.
- Can hold up to 5 lbs. of fresh seeds
- Can efficiently dispense seeds through four ports
- The motorized perch is weight-triggered
- Package includes a rechargeable battery and an AC/DC adapter
- If the motorized perch runs out of battery, squirrels can exploit the opportunity to steal some fresh seeds
- SQUIRREL-PROOF: The motorized perch ring is designed to start spinning under the weight of a squirrel to 'flip' the squirrel off the bird...
- CAPACITY: Tube bird feeder holds up to five pounds of birdseed and has four feeding ports
- DURABILITY: Bird feeder is constructed of heavy duty metal base and cap. The seed tube is UV-stabilized polycarbonate and won't fade
- INTERNAL BAFFLE: Internal baffle is desinged to keep seed flowing freely to all four seed ports
- MADE IN USA: Since 1969 all Droll Yankees products have been proudly made in the USA
6. Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Wild Bird Feeder Mixed Seed Sunflower Heart Version
If you want a squirrel-free bird feeder that is targeted for smaller birds, this one from Roamwild Pestoff can do the trick. This is a tube bird feeder which has a transparent tube for easy assessment when it’s time to refill. It can hold up to three pounds of seed, which can last anywhere from half a day to several days, depending on the bird population in your place. It only has two ports, though.
To keep squirrels away, this feeder has a slide down perch that effectively closes the holes from which birds can get seeds from. It is weight activated so large birds, squirrels and raccoons won’t be able to partake of the seeds.
This model used to have plastic top and bottom, which are commonly chewed on by squirrels. Thankfully, the company has improved upon this model and made it all metal! Now you won’t have a problem with squirrels chewing through the feeder. The top cover, perch and skirt are all made of rust-proof metal, which is plain awesome. It also looks even better now.
- All-metal top and bottom
- Weight-activated to keep squirrels and bigger birds away
- Can hold up to three pounds of bird food
- Transparent tube allows you to see how much bird feed you still have
- Has only two ports
- NOW ALL METAL & NOW WITH A BIGGER 3LBS CAPACITY - 21”x 8 ”x 8” (w/hanger) - NOT JUST A 100% SQUIRREL PROOF BIRD FEEDER - ALSO BABY...
- WEATHER PROOF & WATERPROOF – KEEPS SEED DRY & FRESH – The PestOff bird feeder has a built in weather guard to keep the seed fresh and...
- NO SETTINGS TO ADJUST - AUTOMATICALLY PEST PROOF - The PestOff bird feeder has INDIVIDUALLY spring loaded perches that never need adjusting,...
- SO SIMPLE TO USE AND FILL - Simply open the lid and fill. No need to take the whole feeder apart to fill. The PestOff bird feeder simply...
- VERY LARGE capacity 3LBS so no need for constant refilling. Ideal for feeding sunflower hearts, safflower seed or any mixed seed mixes....
7. Squirrel Buster Plus by Brome
If you are searching for a reliable bird feeder which will not only feed your local small birds but also effectively keep the squirrels away, then the Squirrel Buster Plus by Brome might be the one for you.
One thing that I like about this bird feeder is its material. The squirrels around my property are absolutely resourceful and smart; they know how to find their way through the seeds. However, with this bird feeder, the squirrels are now aware that they can’t easily get what they want. I have observed that the RoxResin stops these pesky squirrels from chewing the exposed parts.
Another thing that I like about this bird feeder is the ease of assembly. I was able to build this one without using any kind of special tool. My own hands were enough to build this in less than an hour. The design team really put their mind to making this one. Hats off to them!
It is very important to keep the seeds fresh. Birds don’t like spoiled seeds, so keeping them inside the seed dispenser would be a huge waste. This particular bird feeder has an excellent ventilation system which keeps the seeds fresh by letting air in and out of the chamber. Moreover, it prevents moisture from staying inside the chamber, thus keeping the seeds perfect for the birds.
The lifetime care that the manufacturing company offers is another positive feature of this product. I’m not the type who easily breaks squirrel baffles but it is nice to know that in the event that I do, I can contact them for replacement, repair, or assistance.
While this bird feeder is an amazing product, one thing I didn’t like is how the seeds fall after the birds fly away from it. This is indeed a waste of birdseed. Plus, the squirrels are alerted about the tasty contents of the feeder thus making them gather around it.
- Made from chew-proof material called RoxResin
- Has air ventilation which keeps the seeds fresh at all times
- Has lifetime care from the manufacturer
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to refill
- The seeds spill on the ground after the birds had their fill
8. Perky-Pet 336 Squirrel-Be-Gone Wild Bird Feeder
Bird feeders with an effective built-in squirrel proofing is very rare these days. If you are tired of installing a separate baffle just to keep these annoying rodents away from your bird feeders, you really should give the Perky Pet 336 a try.
What I like about this product is its durability. The squirrel baffle is made of steel which makes it harder for these annoying rodents from chewing it. Plus, it can withstand shock and protect the plastic seed chamber in the event that the feeder falls to the ground.
Another plus factor for me is the design. I like the way the design incorporated functional and aesthetically-pleasing elements. The leaf design blends superbly with the environment aside from keeping the squirrels away. The weight-activated mechanism that stops the squirrels is seamlessly integrated. This is definitely the kind of bird feeder that I need around my property!
What I don’t appreciate about the Perky Pet 336 is how it can be less effective when multiple squirrels team up to get some food. I saw three fat squirrels inspecting all possible angles of the bird feeder. When they found a good spot to begin, they climbed over and started gnawing until they reached the seed chamber. Fortunately, I discovered it early and I was able to chase away the rodents and save the bird feeder. It works when one or two squirrels try to get to it, but three or more and it’s not as effective. Make sure to give the bird feeder an 18-inch clearance or more all around the feeder to prevent this from happening.
- Has six ports which allows multiple birds to eat at the same time
- Can hold up to 2 lbs. of seeds
- It has a weight-activated mechanism that closes the dispenser
- Multiple squirrels can find a way to overcome the metal bars and chew on the plastic seed container
9. Brome 1015 Squirrel Buster Classic Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Feeding Ports
Squirrel-free bird feeding is what every watcher dreams of. But many are also concerned about hurting these little creatures, even when they make so much trouble. If you are one of those who don’t want motorized squirrel-proof feeders that fling the squirrels away, then you should use Squirrel Buster’s Classic Squirrel Proof bird feeder from Brome.
I love the simple concept employed by this feeder. When a squirrel climbs on it, the feeder’s external cage slides down to close the feeder’s ports due to the weight of the squirrel. If you have smaller squirrels, you can adjust the weight to prevent them from having access to the feeding ports. This can be done since the weight sensitivity mechanism is adjustable. If you also don’t want to feed bigger birds, you can do so with the weight adjustment.
This feeder can cater to both perching and clinging birds. If you only want to attract clinging birds, you can safely remove the perches with a screwdriver. You can hang this feeder at a tree branch and you won’t have to worry about the squirrels getting the bird food because of the closing gate. Just make sure to place it at least 18 inches away from where squirrels can stand up or stretch out to reach the bird feeder. Their entire weight won’t rest on the bird feeder if that happens so the weight mechanism will be ineffective.
I am also happy with the materials used for this feeder — they are mainly metal. Because the exposed parts are metal, the squirrels won’t be able to chew through it. Also, It has been UV-treated so the color won’t fade even when it’s been exposed to the sun and rain. I’ve had mine for two years now and I don’t see any fading.
Probably the only thing I don’t like about this feeder is that it’s a bit hard to refill and clean. However, that is a relatively small issue if you really want to keep squirrels out.
- Works great for keeping squirrels out based on weight
- Doesn’t hurt squirrels when trying to keep them away
- Brand offers lifetime care
- Hard to refill and clean
10. Perky-Pet 338 Squirrel-Be-Gone II Country House Bird Feeder with Weathervane
Perky Pet is a brand I’ve known for several years now. I’ve tried a lot of their products, and while I don’t love all of them, I do appreciate most. And this is one of those items that I really like from this company. This bird feeder keeps squirrels out with its push-down mechanism on the bar that also serves as perch for the birds. It is weight-activated.
I opted for the red colored version as it attracts a lot of birds, especially cardinals. It has a cute weathervane at the top of the galvanized roof, which is nice. This roof can easily be removed for easy filling. It can be hung or placed on a pole. The metal hanger is attached to the house, unlike others that are attached to the roof, which is great so it can really support the feeder, which can hold up to eight pounds of bird feed.
However, I would not recommend hanging this feeder as it would give squirrels access. Although it works perfect as a squirrel stopper pole feeder, it doesn’t keep squirrels away when hung. These crafty little buggers can hang upside down from the roof, hanging through the metal hanger or the windvane.
What I really loved about this feeder is that it has only one side from which the birds can feed on. I faced the feeder towards my house and was able to view the birds feeding without obstruction as they have no choice but to land and feed on the front.
- Forces the birds to eat on the front side
- Can be refilled easily
- Has a nice, attractive design
- Can be used as a hanging feeder or a pole-mounted one, but is only squirrel-proof when pole mounted
11. More Birds X-1 Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder with 4.2-Pound Bird Seed Capacity and Four Feeding Ports
If you like clear feeders for you to easily see the contents of your feeder while keeping squirrels at bay, this feeder by More Birds may just be the one you need. With a four pound seeder capacity, this can provide food for your birds for days on end.
This feeder is also weight activated, with a twist. The feeding ports are closed down in two ways. One is when squirrels hop at the top of the feeder, the top pushes the closing clips down to close the port holes. The other is when squirrels grab the perch to hold on or climb on them, the perch is lower down by weight and closes the port holes.
Former versions of this feeder use plastic closers which sometimes break off when the feeders fall to the ground (with the help of a bear or a squirrel), or sometimes get stuck when exposed to alternating heat and rain. However, the company has improved upon this feeder now and made the closers metal, as well as the clips locking the op, so now there is no issue of breaking off or getting stuck, which is a huge deal. It’s now perfect! I consider it the best anti squirrel bird feeder.
This is a really fancy feeder that would look gorgeous in any garden. You can see how much bird food it still contains at a distance, too. Cleaning and refilling is about average.
- Built from great materials
- Can see how much bird food is left
- With metal lid, closers and clips that deters squirrels from chewing
- Looks fancy
- Refilling can be a bit tricky
12. Perky-Pet Copper Panorama Bird Feeder
Finding the perfect bird feeder that can provide a panoramic view of birds perching and feeding is a challenge these days. If you are tired of searching your favorite pet stores for the right bird feeder, this product might be the one for you.
There are so many things that I like about this bird feeder. First is the design. This product has a circular perch that can accommodate multiple birds at the same time. I also like how the circular seed tray can feed so many birds. With this, I can watch wild birds gather around this wonderful bird feeder all day long. On the other hand, the transparent seed chamber can hold up to two pounds of seeds. Because it is transparent, it allows me to see the amount of seeds left inside without me having to climb up and remove it from where I hung it.
Another positive aspect of this bird feeder is the copper finish. The color blends well with the environment. In addition, the copper finish prevents the metal perch from gathering rust.
What I don’t appreciate about this particular bird feeder is how rainwater can penetrate the seed chamber. Once the seeds are soaked, it gets spoiled and the birds won’t eat it anymore. I have to clean the feeder, dry it up and place new seeds inside to attract birds. Although cleaning the feeder regularly is essential, having to throw away spoiled seeds is a waste.
- Cap serves not only as a decoration but also a guard against squirrels
- The tray style feeder provides seeds from all angles
- Has a rust-proof copper finish
- Holds up to 2 lbs. of birdseed
- Small openings on the cap lets rainwater to seep inside and soak the seeds
13. Gray Bunny GB-6860
If you are searching for a good bird feeder that can prevent squirrels and other animals from looting your fresh bird seed supply, the Gray Bunny GB-6860 will do an excellent job.
There are plenty of things that I like about this bird feeder. What intrigued me most is the eccentric design. The metallic cage protects the seed chamber inside. The bars are set in a good distance from each other so it won’t block the view. Since the seed chamber is placed inside the cage, squirrels and other annoying invaders won’t get the contents easily.
Another favorite feature of mine is the way the lid protects the seeds against rain. It’s very hard to encounter bird feeders with airtight lids. This one, however, not only prevents squirrels from stealing seeds but also stop rainwater from seeping inside. If the seeds are fresh, the birds will happily perch and feed on it.
What I didn’t appreciate about this bird feeder is how smaller seeds such as millet fall down on the ground while larger seeds like sunflower seeds get stuck inside. I think the manufacturing company should take a good look at this issue because owners would be forced to provide only large seeds and limit the birds’ choice.
Nevertheless, since the cage is made of metal, squirrels find it very hard to chew on it. This is particularly beneficial for me because there are multiple squirrels that live near my property.
Finally, this product is also very easy to clean. Just rinse it with water and the dust, grime, and bird poop will be gone in an instant.
- Can hold up to 2 cups of fresh seeds
- The metallic cage protects the seed chamber
- Easy to clean
- Easy to refill
- The seed port cannot stop smaller seeds from falling down
- ENTERTAINING: Feed and watch wild birds in your own backyard with the highest in quality wild bird feeders! The GrayBunny Caged Tube Feeder...
- EFFECTIVE DESIGN: Precisely sized openings to allow in smaller songbirds but not squirrels and larger, undesirable birds. Four well-spaced...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Premium steel cage. Long lasting and chew-proof. Built to last a lifetime.
- GIFT IDEA: A great gift idea for parents, nature lovers and children. Maintaining the seedfeeder by ensuring it is well stocked becomes an...
- GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer care....
14. Homestead Super Stop-A-Squirrel Bird Feeder
If you are tired of the conventional bird feeder design, you might want to give the Homestead Super Stop-A-Squirrel Bird Feeder a try. This one provides a unique way to deter these pesky annoying animals from raiding your birdseed supply.
If there’s anything that I truly find awesome about this product awesome, it would be the fact that it can be hung or mounted on a wall. This is truly amazing because I can place this bird feeder somewhere near my house.
I highly approve the deep seed container. I can easily store up to 11 lbs. of mixed seeds. More seeds mean that I won’t have to refill it every day. All I have to do is to relax and enjoy watching the birds munch on their favorite seeds.
Another major plus point for me is the ease of cleaning. This bird feeder might be easy to gather bird poop, but it is also easy to clean. Just spray it with clean water and the grime and other dirt will simply wash away.
Despite all of the positive aspects of this bird feeder, I noticed one flaw. Since the top of the bird feeder is flat, squirrels can stand on top of it and start looting the contents of the seed dispenser. As I was watching afar some birds feeding on this particular product, I have seen squirrels climbing on top of it. Although they struggled to climb, they still succeeded to get some seeds. The solution to this is to make sure that when you install it on a wall, it has at least 24 inches vertical and horizontal clearance. Squirrels are able to jump long distances after all. If they can’t jump to it, they won’t be able to get any seeds.
- Can hold up to 11 lbs. of mixed bird seeds
- Can be mounted or hanged
- The slippery surface prevents the squirrels from getting a proper foothold
- Easy to clean
- Squirrels can still stand on top of the bird feeder
15. Stokes Select 38069
Bird feeders are not required to be grandstanding. In fact, some of them are even compact. If you want to have a small bird feeder that provides not bird seeds but suet cakes, I bet this product will provide you with endless satisfaction.
Truth be told, I really prefer bird seeds than suet cakes. However, this particular bird product really opened my options wide. I was surprised to see bird gathering around this tiny feeder just to get a sample of the food I have prepared for them.
I was so delighted to see that the metallic cage can keep the squirrels at bay. Since they are made of metal, they are chew-proof. I am confident that they can’t cut through the metal no matter how hard they try. Furthermore, the intervals between the bars allow the small birds to come inside to get a sample of the nutritious suet cakes.
I was also surprised to find that this little bird feeder is durable. I accidentally dropped it while I was hanging it and it did not get a single dent or scratch. Nothing at all! Plus, this product is so compact I can bring it practically anywhere I want. It is also weatherproof so I won’t worry about it getting weathered anytime soon.
However, not all of the things I have experienced with this feeder are all positive. I have observed that while the metallic cage prevents the squirrels from entering the feeder, they can still reach out their arms to grab a piece of suet cakes. What I did was place the feeder where squirrels can’t jump to it.
- Can hold two suet cakes at the same time
- The cage prevents the squirrels ang large birds from entering but allows small birds to access the contents
- Squirrels are able to reach out their arms to grab a piece of suet cakes
What To Look For When Buying A Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
When looking for a squirrel proof bird feeder, all you need to remember are these two things: it has to be a good feeder and it has to be squirrel proof.
Well, squirrel proof or not, a feeder is still a feeder and should function like one. So you should take into consideration all the natural features you should be looking for in a bird feeder, which are:
It should contain a good amount of feeds or suet and allow large capacity feeding. Unless of course you want to refill a couple of times a day, which I doubt. Get a feeder that can hold at least two pounds of bird mix. If you have high bird traffic in your area, get one that has a capacity of at least five pounds.
The materials used to make these should be durable and of good quality. If a squirrel or a bear knocks it off the hook, will the feeder survive the fall? Choose one that is made of metal, RoxResin or thick polycarbonate.
Bird feeders will always be exposed to various climates, especially when you’re feeding birds all year-round. It has to be tough and able to withstand the changing temperatures and various elements. If your feeder is made of plastic, choose one that has been UV-treated to prevent fading and cracking.
- Ease of use
This benefit is for both the bird watcher/keeper and the birds themselves. Birds should find your feeder attractive, see it from afar, and must be easy for them to access. Also, find a feeder that is easy to clean and fill. It should not take you about an hour to clean one feeder, and refilling it should be simple enough to avoid wastage.
- Warranty and/or customer service
Warranty is not a requirement, but if the feeder you are looking at has one, then go for it! Or at least buy from a company that is easy to reach when something goes wrong or if you need assistance.
In addition, I usually choose something that is non-toxic to all animals and can help the environment (such as made from metal or recycled plastic).
I always select squirrel proofing as an added feature. If birds are interrupted while eating, they might not come back. A lot of chasing away methods for squirrels and other rodents are available. You can choose from feeders with cages, baffles, shock, or collapsible perches. You might also want to try the motorized rotating feeder. I usually choose squirrel proof feeders depending on the kinds of birds I plan to feed and the area where I will be putting it. You can do the same depending on your needs.
Finding a good squirrel proof bird feeder should be easy. It should function as a bird feeder first, then provide a proofing system that will suit your feeding needs. Don’t forget to read through squirrel proof bird feeder reviews in order to set your expectations on the feeder that you’d like to buy.
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is a squirrel proof feeder?
This is a container for bird feeds that limits the access of rodents such as squirrels. There are different features to help deprive the squirrels of ration that are not intended for them, all depending on the type of feeder. Its designs are both based on the birds and squirrels’ behaviors and capabilities.
How does it work?
A squirrel proof feeder works in different ways. It depends on the type that you decide to buy. It may provide an added layer of protection while allowing selective access. Some feeders can have simple machines that limit the squirrels to enter. While there are those that give a little shock to the intruders when they set foot on the area. Whatever the ways, these feeders have one purpose: to make squirrels, raccoons and rats go away.
What are the different types of squirrel proof feeders?
Your choice of feeder may depend on the situation and squirrels that you have in your area. Here are some feeder types that you can find in stores:
- Cage feeders
You might have considered putting your feeders in another container to have selective access. Some squirrel proof bird feeders are enclosed in cages, and these are probably the first types available in the market. The cage-type feeders proved to work for years. Some have a layer of cage protection, others have two. Usually, the openings are about 3 to 4 centimeters (cm). An entryway is provided to allow birds to peck all the food they want while restricting the access of rodents. But the downside of this is that it also has selective access for the birds. Since the hole is small, only small birds can go in and enjoy the food. Birds like doves, woodpeckers, etc. would need another type.
- Baffled feeders
Another squirrel proof feeder that you can buy is one that has a baffle either at the top or at the bottom. Depending on the usual jumping point of these animals, the placement of the baffles may also change. Be careful not to place the feeders near an area where they can jump from or else a baffle will just be their stepping tool. An 18-inch clearance on all sides is usually recommended.
- Weight sensitive perches
Oh, this one’s one of the most entertaining to watch! Big squirrels find this type very challenging. Their weights hinder them to have access to the seeds in the feeders. You see, makers of this type took advantage of the average weights of birds that they intend to feed. The perch is connected to a tension spring. So, if an animal that weighs more than what is set, there’s an automatic restriction. The perch collapses and sometimes an additional mechanism closes the opening of the feeder.
Some weight-activated feeders are not adjustable, so sometimes large birds such as doves, woodpeckers and jays are also deterred when the perch collapses or the ports close off. This can be advantageous or disadvantageous to you based on the types of birds you want to attract.
- Spinning squirrel proof bird feeders
Tired of stressing out and want some fun while trying to get rid of naughty squirrels? Why not give them some merry-go-round treat? All you need is a bird feeder with spinning perch and batteries. This one’s also sensitive to added weight. But instead of closing the feeder opening, it automatically spins and will not stop unless the squirrels let go. It’s safe and may not be too sensitive to medium-sized bird’s weights. You should check if there’s still battery charge from time to time. The more frequent a squirrel is set to spin, the more times you need to change the batteries.
- Bird feeders with electric shock
If all these preventions are not working anymore to shoo away squirrels, then a subtle surprise may work for them. That’s right! This one is battery and remote control operated. Don’t worry about shocking birds, because it is not automatic. You have to press the button as you see a squirrel getting cozy and grabbing some food. Make sure though that you don’t have a blind spot so that accidentally shocking the birds will not happen. The downside to this is that you might have to spend the whole day to watch and wait. Bummer!
- Rotating feeders
Can this new release interest you? This looks like a box with tube or rod placed at the center. Kind of works like a wheel and axle. When a squirrel tries to climb to the top of it, a small movement will make it turn and flip over. It’s kind of like the weight sensitive type with tension springs, but instead of just the perches, the whole feeder spins.
By the way, finding a good spot is still important. Even if you’re already using protected bird feeders, some squirrels can still find ways to gate-crash. Make sure to give the feeders enough clearance as recommended by the manufacturer.
Why do you need a squirrel proof bird feeder?
You do want to have a worry-free feeding, don’t you? Getting a squirrel proof bird feeder for your backyard gives you this, plus a couple of other benefits.
- It does its job and effectively gets rid of squirrels.
Depending on the type you’ll buy, you can most certainly be sure that squirrels will not bother you and the birds anymore.
- It secures both feeders and feeds.
With squirrel proof mechanisms, unwanted food thieves will not damage the feeders.
- It can save you some bucks.
Imagine the decrease in volume of feeds that you will regularly buy, plus the frequency of refilling. Are you counting your savings yet?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular squirrel proof feeder brands?
The most respected brands that I also recommend are the following:
- Perky Pet
- Brome Squirrel Buster
- Droll Yankees
- Stokes Select
- Squirrel Solution
These are the ones that I’ve tried for myself and I found to be effective. Plus their customer service are highly reliable, too.
Can the squirrel proof feeder keep chipmunks or raccoons out?
Some of these feeders are designed to keep all types of rodents out, although they are very particular about squirrels. Squirrels are smarter and more persistent than other rodents so they are usually the ones the manufacturers try to focus on. Nevertheless, most squirrel-free feeders can keep chipmunks, rats and raccoons away.
Where to hang to squirrel proof feeders?
I would recommend getting a separate pole to hang feeders from. This is so you can distance the feeder from other points where squirrels can jump from.
How to install?
Installing a bird feeder depends on the type that you have. Common installation is by hanging or mounting on a pole. There are also some that can be mounted on walls.
How to keep squirrels away from bird feeders?
Keeping the seeds inside the bird feeders is very challenging, especially if there are plenty of squirrels around the area where you placed them. These wild animals will do everything just to get a free sample of the fresh seeds that you reserved for the birds. They will climb and chew on the plastic container until the seeds are exposed. Unless you do something about it, the squirrels will definitely feast on the bird seeds every day.
Here are two foolproof guides to keep these pesky little animals from attacking your bird feeders:
- Hang your bird feeder where the squirrels won’t get a foothold. Squirrels are unbelievably resourceful and agile. They will climb anything they can get a foothold of. If you are going to hang your bird feeder, make sure that you use a pole because it has a naturally smooth surface. This way, squirrels and other animals will only slide down every time they attempt to climb up.
- Buy a squirrel baffle that is made of lightweight metal or steel. Plastic baffles usually end up getting a hole after the squirrels chew on them. Steel will prevent these rodents from successfully penetrating the seed chamber of your bird feeder.
Once you have done these tips, you can be confident that your seeds are safe against raiders.
How to make a squirrel-proof feeder?
Learning how to make a squirrel-proof bird feeder presents a billion-fold benefit. Aside from keeping away these annoying little animals, you can also make sure that the seeds are protected against rainwater.
Here’s what you need:
- An old stainless steel mixing bowl with at least 18’’in diameter and 5” to 6” deep
- Electric drill
- Nuts and bolts
Here’s how to make your own bird feeder that is squirrel proof:
- Cut the lip of the mixing bowl. Not doing so will provide a foothold to squirrels.
- Using an electric drill, cut a hole in the center. Make sure that the hole matches the diameter of the pole where the bird feeder is mounted.
- Install the stainless steel mixing bowl with the bottom facing the bottom of the feeder.
- Place a bracket and secure it with nuts and bolts to ensure that the bowl won’t slide down.
One of the advantages of making your own squirrel baffle is you can configure it according to your own needs. In addition, you can easily make adjustments any time should another problem arise. But if you don’t have time or resources, you can always purchase ready-made squirrel-proof bird feeders on the market.
How to clean
Cleaning your squirrel baffle is very important. Dirty feeders that are inundated with bird poop will become a hotbed for diseases such as salmonella, histoplasmosis, candidiasis, E. coli, among other things. If left dirty, it can cause the spread of diseases to humans in no time.
Rinsing the baffles with clean water will wash away most of the dirt and other harmful elements that have built up on top of it. Although some feeder can simply be spray-cleaned, make sure to wash the feeder with a bleach solution and sun-dry at least once a month to prevent bacteria build-up.
Where to buy?
You can buy these squirrel-proof feeders in your favorite pet stores and other shops such as Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. However, if the particular design is not available, you can always try to shop online. Amazon.com is a good online shop to find the baffles that are suited to your specific needs. Ordering online is very easy and flexible.
The best squirrel proof bird feeder is the one that you can simply set and forget about. Although some of these feeders are hard to install as compared to ordinary bird feeders, the effort is all worth it once you realize that they really keep pesky pests out.
At the onset, bird feeders with squirrel proofing can indeed be more expensive than regular types, but hey, since they help keep squirrels at bay and reduce seed wastage, the amount of bird seeds that you buy will usually be reduced by half. So stop fretting and get yourself one!
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API