Even if you’ve never tried bird watching before, seeing a colorful bird rest on a branch and hearing their chirps can easily get you hooked! Bird watching is even healthier than staring at your television or computer all day. If you’ve seen one or two birds perch by your window once, you would surely want to see them again. And what better way to attract them than to use the best window bird feeder?
- Top 10 Best Hummingbird Feeders
- Top 15 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders
- Top 12 Best Window Bird Feeders
My kids love it, too. And my wife worries less about the kids using mobile devices too much as they enjoy watching the birds by the window or at the patio. This is why we use several bird feeders around our property. We’ve tried a lot; here are our 12 window bird feeder reviews to help you.
6 Best Window Bird Feeders Comparison
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Best Window Bird Feeder Reviews
- 1. Nature Gear Window Bird Feeder
- 2. Nature’s Hangout Window Bird Feeder
- 3. Tranquil Outdoors Large Window Bird Feeder
- 4. Gray Bunny GB-6895 Clear Window Bird Feeder
- 5. Nature Anywhere Window Bird Feeder
- 6. Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder
- 7. Perky-Pet 348 Birdscapes Clear Window Feeder
- 8. XXHRISE Bird feeder
- 9. Nature Gear XL Window Bird Feeder
- 10. Wild Birds of Joy Window Bird Feeder
- 11. Droll Yankees OWF Observer Window Bird Feeder
- 12. Perky-Pet Window Mount Hummingbird Feeder
- What To Look For When Buying A Window Bird Feeder
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 12 Best Window Bird Feeder Reviews
1. Nature Gear Window Bird Feeder
Made of high quality acrylic, this window bird feeder is undoubtedly one of my favorites. Its suction cups have the best glass suction I’ve seen in all glass feeders. It is so strong you have to make sure you place the feeder in the right position in your window because it is likely to stay there.
You won’t have to worry about having a hard time removing it for cleaning since you can simply unhook the acrylic housing from the suction cups. I noticed though that I didn’t have to clean it as regularly as other window feeders since there isn’t any condensation between the window and the feeder because of the big hole at the back. There is practically no obstruction to your view.
Also, the bottom part, which serves as the seed tray, can easily slide out for refill and cleaning. There is practically no need to clean the walls of the feeder too, so sometimes I just wipe them clean and it’s all good.
One thing I don’t like about this feeder is that it doesn’t have a water tray. I would love to be able to provide what the birds need in one tool.
Seeds don’t get moldy because of the water drainage system at the bottom of the sliding tray. It is also cat and squirrel-proof since they tend to slide off the feeder because of its smooth, pitched roof. However, make sure you don’t place the feeder on doors or windows with mesh screens as squirrels can use those to climb and enter the feeder from the side or below.
- Made of very durable acrylic
- No condensation forms between the glass window and the feeder
- Strong suction cups
- Cat and squirrel proof because of the pitched roof
- Pitched roof also prevents snow build-up
- No water tray
2. Nature’s Hangout Window Bird Feeder
A very durable feeder from a well-known brand: that’s what I think of Nature’s Hangout Window Feeder. Made of 1/8 inches thick plexiglass, it is indeed a sturdy choice of feeder.
Measuring 12 inches by four inches in width and five inches in height, this feeder can be mounted on almost any glass window. It has two removable feeder trays at the bottom so you can place two types of bird food without worrying about them mixing together. Since it is pretty small, it can only accommodate two or three birds at a time.
The design helps keep most of the rain out, except when you have heavy rains accommodated by wind, in which case you’ll have to remove and clean-up the bird feeder as rain will surely soak the seeds even with the drainage holes.
What I appreciate most about this window feeder is that you can attach it to a sliding window and easily remove the feeding tray when you reach out from inside. This can be handy if you live in an apartment complex or your flat is several floors up.
A bit disappointing though is that the suction cups can be in the way of your viewing pleasure since the suction cups aren’t completely transparent and they are lined up in one row. Good thing the plexiglass is clear enough to see through the other parts of the feeder, or I would’ve been dissatisfied.
- Have a noticeable black rubber perch
- Made of durable material
- Feeder trays are easily removable
- Position of the suction cups disrupts your view
- 🌿 AMAZING CLOSE UP VIEWS OF YOUR FAVORITE WILD BIRDS! Made from high transparency, see-through acrylic so you can study the beautiful...
- 🌿 ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF WILD BIRDS WITHOUT NEEDING BINOCULARS! If you are looking for a top-of-the-line bird feeder, to attract birds right...
- 🌿 THE EASIEST BIRD FEEDER YOU’LL EVER CLEAN… We created our high-end bird feeder with you in mind. The removable tray makes it easy...
- 🌿 PROVIDES HOURS OF ENJOYMENT FOR CHILDREN, CATS, & THE ELDERLY! Maybe you are looking for great way to teach your curious child about...
- 🌿 INCLUDES OUR LIFETIME “STRONGEST SUCTION CUPS GUARANTEE.” Providing exceptional quality products and top notch customer service is...
3. Tranquil Outdoors Large Window Bird Feeder
If a lot of birds frequent your area, it is best to get a large window bird feeder instead of a small one that can only accommodate a few at a time. And Tranquil Outdoor’s bird feeder is one of the best options out there.
The feeder is attached to the suction cups with a hook. This design can be both advantageous and disadvantageous at the same time. It can be advantageous since the suction cups won’t be blocking your view. You can have a full view of the birds eating their heart out the window, which is also great if you enjoy taking pictures of the birds.
However, it can also be disadvantageous. For instance, although the suction cups are steady, the hooks tend to cause swaying to the feeder. When birds land on the perch or any part of the acrylic housing, the feeder bumps strongly against the glass. It doesn’t affect the birds as much but I worry that this will cause issues to the glass window when bigger birds approach.
In any case, I removed the hooks and attached the suction cups directly to the feeder and I had no more issues. The suction cups work well and are very sturdy, although now, of course, they are in the way of the view. I can say the suction cups are really effective in holding the feeder as it does not succumb to the weight of the birds, the seeds and the snow on its roof. As for the material, it holds really well and doesn’t crack under extreme weather.
- Easy to clean
- Made of durable material
- Large feeder and can hold several birds
- Has brown rubber perch
- Hooks cause swaying so I had to remove them
- FEED THE BIRDS: Unique bird houses offer a crystal clear view of any wild bird that finds its perch
- ATTRACT WILDLIFE: Multi-bird hangout ideal for cardinal, finch, bluebird, blue jay, & other species
- ALL WEATHER FEEDER: Durable acrylic unit with rubber perch tray, strong suction cups, steel hook
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION: Attach the suction cups and hangers to the outside of your glass window & mount
- VIRTUALLY SQUIRREL PROOF: Hang the feeder high on a window to deter squirrels and other scavengers
4. Gray Bunny GB-6895 Clear Window Bird Feeder
Not only is this bird feeder cute; it is small enough to place almost anywhere. Gray Bunny’s window bird feeder measures only six inches in length, 5.5 inches in height and 2.25 inches in width. Even if it is pretty small, the feeding tray is a bit deep, enough to hold 1.5 cups of seeds. They do offer a larger version with a pitched roof, but I wanted to try how the smaller one works because it is unlike other window feeders I’ve seen.
Being only 2.25 inches in width, both on the roof and on the bottom, it hardly stops rain from getting in. This can also be a problem since this small version doesn’t seem to have any drainage holes, causing the seeds to retain moisture and eventually become moldy.
However, I love how clear the acrylic is. You would almost not notice that there’s a feeder there if it weren’t for the black rubber perch, the suction cups and of course the seeds. There’s no danger of birds crashing against the window though since they clearly see the rubber perch.
Because of the size, it can only accommodate a maximum of two birds at a time. If bigger birds perch on it, make sure to check the rubber perch afterward to make sure they’re still stuck properly to the feeder. I found that some birds are able to loosen it up so I applied a bit of melted glue stick inside to prevent it from getting removed completely.
- Great size for apartments with narrow glass windows
- Clear acrylic
- Can hold up to 1.5 cups of bird mix
- With its size, can only accommodate a maximum of two birds at a time
- Not very weatherproof
- Feed and watch wild birds from the comfort of your home! Made from high transparency, crystal clear, see-through acrylic with large viewing...
- Thick acrylic frame is durable yet lightweight. Big premium grade suction cups keep the feeder mounted & affixed firmly on your window or...
- Extra deep tray holds 4 cups of bird seed - reduces the frequency of needing to refill. Removable tray is easy to clean and refill. Tray...
- A great gift idea for parents, nature lovers and children. Backyard bird feeding is a fun activity anyone around the house can enjoy. Even...
- GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer care....
5. Nature Anywhere Window Bird Feeder
Nature Anywhere is actually one of my go-to brands when it comes to window attached bird feeders, and this window bird feeder if no exception. I love how this feeder is stylishly designed, while still thinking about usage.
This window bird feeder is made of four millimeters of acrylic, thick enough to withstand various seasons, and hold seeds and birds without breaking under its weight. I like that it has an inclined roof. If it were me, all window bird feeders should have a pitched roof for the following reasons:
- It makes it hard for squirrels to get to the seeds because an inclined acrylic roof will only cause them to slide down
- It prevents build-up of snow that adds to the weight of the feeder
- It allows more headroom for bigger birds.
All these features, this bird feeder by Nature Anywhere can achieve. I also love that this feeder prevents condensation from forming between the glass window and the acrylic feeder because of its big viewing window. If you like photographing the birds, this can give you an even clearer view for best images.
This feeder also has a sliding feeding tray to make it easier for you to clean and refill the tray. Plus there are two compartments so you can place two types of bird feed to attract more bird variations.
The only drawback to this model is that the perch is transparent acrylic as well. Birds are sometimes confused about where to perch because they couldn’t see the landing rod.
- Very well designed
- Pitched roof prevents squirrels from darting inside
- Pitched roof also prevents snow build-up
- Durable and weatherproof
- Viewing hole allows you to have a clearer view of the birds
- Transparent perch sometimes confuses birds
- THE BEST GIFT FOR BIRD AND CAT LOVERS! See colorful wild birds from up close. Just sit in your kitchen and have fun discovering wild birds....
- SLIDING SEED TRAY MAKES IT EASY TO FILL, AND CLEAN. No need to remove the whole feeder. Simply slide the dispenser out and fill, with no...
- VIRTUALLY 100% SQUIRREL PROOF. Ever seen a squirrel climbing on a glass window? They can’t! Install far from ledges and branches and Mr....
- SO DURABLE, IT COMES WITH A LIFETIME GUARANTEE: if you don't absolutely LOVE your you will receive a full refund (or replace it, if there is...
- INCLUDES FREE VIP CUSTOMER SERVICE: Just scroll through our reviews! We will usually solve any issue you have in less than 24 hours. “I...
6. Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder
I mostly discuss seed feeders in my list because there are hardly other types out there. This is why I was glad to have found Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder. As its name implies, this feeder is targeted towards Hummingbirds. Hummingbirds mostly eat insects, tree sap and nectar. This feeder allows you to place up to eight ounces of sugar mix to feed passing Hummingbirds.
Since Hummingbirds are attracted to flowers for their nectar, it is only fitting that this feeder is brightly colored red. It has three flower engraved portholes for the birds to place their long beaks through. It also has a circular perch for the birds to land on.
Because sugar solution also attracts ants, you might be worried about ants lining up your glass window. Fear not; this bird feeder has a detachable ant moat that deters ants and other crawling bugs.
It suction cups are attached to a window bracket so that you can easily clip and unclip the feeder for when you need to refill or clean it. The suction is strong enough and does not slide down even when the birds perch on the feeder. If you’re having a hard time making the suction cups stick to the window on your first try, simply apply a little vegetable oil and your problems are solved.
- Color attracts hummingbirds
- Can accommodate three HBs at a time
- Has its own ant moat
- The suction cup might be troublesome to install at first, but a quick solution is to a thin film of oil
7. Perky-Pet 348 Birdscapes Clear Window Feeder
If you want to have a very clear view of the birds while they eat at your feeder, choose Perky-Pet 348 Window Feeder. With its through and through design, you will see the birds clearly and take nice photos of them.
This plastic feeder is shaped like a birdhouse, with an inclined roof which extends an inch or so towards the front, and a house shaped hole at the back. The only thing that separates you from the birds is your glass window, which is kind of neat.
I think having the big hole was well thought of because the shatterproof plastic was not very transparent at all. It has that whitish tinge that would have blocked your view of the birds if the entire back was solid. The material is not like other acrylic feeders, but it seems to be durable enough. Mine has been sitting on the pane for two years and it still works great.
The downside to this feeder is that it can only accommodate small to medium birds such as chickadees, cardinals and even woodpeckers. Bigger birds have trouble eating from it though, which is kind of sad when you watch them try but just manage to perch on the roof and not get any bird seeds.
- Pitched roof prevents snow build-up
- Big viewing hole
- Material is made of shatterproof plastic
- Can only accommodate small to medium sized birds
- Does not come with instructions
- Attaches directly to your window for hours of bird feeding enjoyment
- See birds up close with the crystal clear design
- Made of shatterproof plastic
- Holds up to 1 cup of seed
8. XXHRISE Bird feeder
If you are looking for a reliable bird feeder that is durable, weatherproof, easy to assemble and is easy to install, this product from XXHRISE is a good choice. This product is perfect if you want to view small birds just outside your very own glass window.
What I love about this bird feeder is how it accommodates small birds comfortably inside. I can see them clearly from a distance inside my house and the scene is truly enjoyable! The suction cups can really hold the weight of the seed, water, and the birds combined without sliding down a single inch on my glass window.
Of all window bird feeders with suction cups, this bird feeder is also easy to assemble. Even my young children can assemble it without any difficulty at all.
Since this bird feeder is placed on a glass window or glass panel, squirrels and other unwanted animals that feed on bird seeds cannot easily access it. In addition, the seed tray and water tray are separate from one another; therefore the seeds are not easily contaminated. This is perfect especially if you hate refilling the seed and water trays every time.
The only thing that I don’t like about this bird feeder is its lack of perch. Small birds can be easily driven away by large ones such as woodpeckers and blue jays. As soon as it runs out of seeds and water, the birds fly away. A good perch can make them stay for a while.
Another thing that I do not like about this bird feeder is that some of the important screws are missing. I had to find some on my toolbox just complete the assembly.
- Easy to assemble
- The suction cups hold well against pressure
- The plastic does not obstruct the view of birds feeding inside
- No perch included
- Some screws are missing
- UNIQUE DESIGN AS NOT ONLY A BIRD FEEDER, BUT ALSO BIRD HOUSE: With our unique design, the shield roof & drain hole, and 4 wood pillars...
- EASY TO INSTALL AND WEATHERPROOF: 4 wood pillars connecting the shield roof & seed tray, using the screws to install the pillars, easily to...
- MORE GREAT IDEAS FOR CARE OF THE BIRDS: Besides the traditional seeds tray, new design a special separate drinking-water sink for birds, and...
- NOT ONLY JUST STICKING ON THE WINDOW : On top of the bird feeder roof, we design a hanging hole to let the bird feeder not only sticked on...
- KIDS CLOSE TO NATURE AND FAMILY JOY: Made from acrylic and with high transparency, kids could enjoy the bird watching fun with parents, just...
9. Nature Gear XL Window Bird Feeder
If you want a highly reliable bird feeder that you can install near your house, the Nature Gear XL Window Bird Feeder will provide you the best bird-watching experience.
What I love about this product is that moisture doesn’t build up on the plastic panels. I can clearly see the birds feeding even during rainy days. I also highly approve of the design of this bird feeder. The birds can feed enough seeds without crowding inside. Also, the water compartment is located on the outer part of the bird feeder. Because of this, the seeds do not easily get spoiled.
The birds can easily perch on the black plastic rod. This is something that is missing on the other window bird feeders on the market these days.
One thing that I have noticed about this bird feeder is how the suction cups get warped easily. One sunny day, I saw one of the four suction cups lost its grip on my kitchen glass window. The birds were startled and flew away. I reattached and readjusted the suction cups at least twice that week. I’m worried that the whole bird feeder might fall to the ground while I’m not around it.
- Has a plastic rod where the birds can perch
- Can be viewed at every possible angle
- Has strong suction cups that support the weight of the bird feeder and the birds that visit it
- Cats, squirrels, and other animals can’t easily reach it
- Sometimes, the suction cups lose their grip
10. Wild Birds of Joy Window Bird Feeder
If you are searching for a bird feeder that can be easily mounted on your glass windows, this particular bird feeder might suit your taste.
What I love about Wild Birds of Joy Window Bird Feeder is its compact size. You can easily mount it in any window glass surface in your house. The suction cups are strong enough to hold the whole feeder. In addition, the seed tray slides easily which makes reloading it very convenient. The plastic make-up of this particular bird feeder is weatherproof and stays crystal clear even during rainy days. Moreover, this unit is very easy to clean.
The plastic rod that serves as a perch is another positive factor of this bird feeder. The birds can easily access the seeds because they can perch comfortably.
What I don’t like about the Wild Birds of Joy Window Bird Feeder are its shape and size. In my opinion, it looks like a shoe box made of plastic materials. The bird feeder tends to get crowded easily because of its small size. The other birds that want to feed would have to wait for the other ones to get satisfied before they can get their turn.
Another thing that I observed is that there is no water tray that would give the birds a chance to drink. This is important if you want to see the birds stay perched in the feeder.
- The seed tray slides easily
- The plastic rod serves as a perch
- The suction cups are strong enough to hold the whole bird feeder and the birds feeding on it
- This product has a money back guarantee
- It looks like a shoe box
- Because of its small size, only 2 to 3 birds can feed inside at a time
- No water tray
- CLEAR VIEWING OF BEAUTIFUL BIRDS IN VIVID DETAIL - With a tray that holds up to 3 cups of seed, watch cardinals, blue jays, finches, juncos,...
- STICKS TO WINDOWS FOR LONGER - Where most feeders only come with 3 suction cups with moderate adhesion, this feeder is specially designed to...
- BUILT TO LAST IN ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS - Each feeder is made from only the most heavy duty and shatterproof acrylic so that it can last...
- MAKES FOR THE PERFECT GIFT - Whether for a nature lover, a bird aficionado, curious child or that special someone, this feeder makes for a...
- WORKS OR YOUR MONEY BACK - We want you to shop confidently with us. That's why we offer an unmatched satisfaction guarantee to go with our...
11. Droll Yankees OWF Observer Window Bird Feeder
Supporting a hobby such as bird watching needs a good tool. The Droll Yankees OWF Observer Bird Feeder will not only allow you to observe small birds from a safe distance but also allow you to nourish them without disrupting their daily activities.
What I like about the Droll Yankees OWF Observer Bird Feeder is how I was able to clean it without pulling the suction cups on my living room glass window. The hooks let the whole feeder hang securely. I also like the amount of seeds I can put on the feeder. The built-in seed compartment holds at least two cups of seeds; which is plenty for the birds that visit the feeder.
The plastic material used in this window mounted bird feeder is indeed durable. It can withstand direct exposure to sunlight without getting any deformation. Also, it can survive falls to the ground without getting a single crack. I accidentally lost grip on it while I was cleaning it and I am happy to say that it didn’t break apart.
What I don’t appreciate in this particular bird feeder is that the perch was seemingly not considered in the design. The birds have to perch on the edge of the seed compartment just to have access on the food inside it. Also, the small size allows only two to three small birds feed on it at the same time. It doesn’t have a water tray as well.
- The feeder can be mounted on the suction cups via hooks
- Easy to fill with seeds
- Very durable
- Because of its small size, only a few birds can feed at a time
- No perch
- The feeding tray doesn’t separate from the top
- No water tray
12. Perky-Pet Window Mount Hummingbird Feeder
If you love hummingbirds, this particular bird feeder will make sure you’ll see them in your garden every day.
What I love about this hummingbird feeder is its simple design. The tube can hold up to 8 ounces of delicious nectar. The base is colored red, so the birds’ attention can be quickly captured. The two small plastic perches located on both sides of the base allow two birds to feed on it at the same time.
The suction cup is very sturdy. It quickly attaches on any glass window surface. It can also hold the weight of the whole bird feeder plus the 8-ounce nectar easily. If you like to try to place it in another location, I don’t see any reason why you can’t use a nail or a screw to properly secure this bird feeder.
One thing I don’t like about the Perky-Pet Window Mount Hummingbird Feeder is how it attracts bees and ants. I had to purchase a separate bee guard just to secure the nectar for the birds. The sweet scent of nectar attracts them and not even cleaning the glass windows can keep them away.
- Sturdy suction cup
- It has two perches
- Made from shatter-proof plastic material
- No bee and ant guard
- Feeder attaches directly to windows for up-close bird watching
- Three hollyhock-inspired ports are soft & flexible for a natural feel
- Feeding ports are tapered to keeps bees out of nectar
- Mount two ways – use the suction cup or hang from a nail
- Comes apart completely for easy cleaning. Holds up to 8 oz of nectar
What To Look For When Buying A Window Bird Feeder
A bird window feeder allows you to view birds at a closer range than normal bird feeders. It’s great for home offices, for entertaining kids and guests, and for simply giving you a quiet time to observe nature at its finest. However, having a bird feeder comes a responsibility. Not only should you maintain feeding the birds once you’ve started; you should also make sure that your feeder is a safe and clean environment for them and your family.
When buying a window bird feeder, you should look into the following aspects:
Weatherproof – being placed outside means it will be exposed to harsh elements and extreme climates. Your bird feeder must, therefore, be resilient enough to withstand all four seasons. It must also be able to keep the rain away to prevent the seeds from developing molds.
Durable – To check durability, you can inspect the thickness of the feeder. Three to five millimeters of plastic or acrylic would be good. A good feeder should also last you years, so if the company offers a lifetime warranty, that’s a good sign that the product is really durable.
Clarity – to maximize your viewing pleasure, the material must be clear enough. If feeder has a viewing hole, all the better. If it doesn’t have a viewing hole and the material is just translucent and not transparent, you will not be able to enjoy the view of the birds.
Strong Suction Cups – this is one of the most important aspects. The suction cups are what would hold the entire feeder to the glass window, so if it slides down or gets detached easily, the purpose of the feeder would be defeated.
Easy to clean – maintenance is important; a dirty bird feeder can cause diseases not just to birds but even humans, too. All the feeder’s parts must be easy to clean, even the furthest corners.
Allows the birds to eat with ease – this might be tough to gauge for a first-timer, but some key pointers would be having a visible perch and the birds can fly on and off the feeder without experiencing difficulties.
Although not a requirement, a bonus feature would be having a one-way mirror. Why? Because you can then approach your window while the birds eat without scaring them away. This is very useful if you have kids in the house that you can’t easily control and get too excited when they see the birds perch on the feeders.
Also, as mentioned above, finding a window bird feeder brand that has a lifetime warranty can be a huge advantage. Not only can you be assured that the product is well-made, but you would also know that you have a fallback in case it breaks. Although the price may be higher for such items, it is still worth it.
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is a bird feeder?
A bird feeder is a contraption that is used to supply food to birds. Bird feeders are typically filled with birdseeds, fruits, mealworms or nectar to attract wild birds. It is made from sturdy materials such as wood, metal, and/or plastic in order to ensure longevity. If you are a bird watcher, a good bird feeder will give you a chance to view them near your home garden or any open space where birds are known to flock.
Because of the massive property development and deforestation, the environment where the birds get their food rapidly diminishes. Bird feeders can help the birds get the food and nutrition they need when they migrate.
How does it work?
A bird feeder works in so many ways. One of them is by placing seeds, fruits or nectar on the designated tray or compartment where the birds can easily access it whenever they need it. Examples of bird seeds often placed on the seed tray are sunflower seeds, millet, Niger seeds, safflower, canola or rapeseeds. Bird feeders are also used to provide drinks or bath to wild birds.
Bird feeders are placed on a strategic location where you wish to view the birds. For instance, if you have a glass window and you’d like to view birds feeding right by it, you use window bird feeders to do so.
The usual types of bird feeders are the following:
- Seed feeders
- Hummingbird feeders
- Oriole feeders
- Suet feeders
Because of the popularity of bird feeders, bird watchers often place a camera to record the congregation and feeding of the birds. Some bird watchers who have immediate access to the internet would often live stream their videos so that other birdwatchers around the world may enjoy the view even from their computers only.
What are the different types of window bird feeders?
If you want to view wild birds up close, a window bird feeder is definitely a good choice. It’s like viewing your own wildlife right by your window.
There are two different types of window bird feeders? These are:
- Suction cup or Velcro-mounted bird feeder. This type of window bird feeder is ideal for houses with glass windows or panels. The bird feeders are usually supported by suction cups or Velcro. This particular type of bird feeder is very ideal for condominiums and apartments where there are plenty of glass panels.
- Solarium bird feeder. These bird feeders were designed to stick out from a windowsill. This way, you will have easy access to it through the window whenever it is time to refill the seed or water trays or to clean it. Most of these feeders are window bird feeders with one-way mirror that allows you to view the birds without them seeing you.
Why do you need a window bird feeder?
They say that bird watching is a very therapeutic hobby. It can rejuvenate a person’s mind as it takes away some stress brought upon by our day-to-day activities. It can also help us appreciate nature, especially the birds, more. However, not all people have the time to go to a public park or forest just to get a good view of these wild birds.
This is where window bird feeders become useful. By mounting one or two of these in any place in your house, you can be guaranteed to see a spectacular nature show every day. In addition, you won’t need to go to a place such as public parks and forests where birds naturally flock just to see them. All you need to do is to regularly fill the feeders with seeds and water daily.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are good window bird feeder brands?
There are many window bird feeder brands that are currently sold in the market these days. However, not all of them can give you the best bird-watching experience. If you are going to purchase one for your home garden, these highly-recommended brands are truly worth every penny:
- Nature Gear
- Nature Anywhere
- Droll Yankees
- Perky Pet
- Nature’s Hangout
- Gray Bunny
How to use a bird feeder?
Using a bird feeder is really easy. You just need to place it where the birds can easily access the seeds and water on their respective trays. However, if there are other animals around such as cats and squirrels, that could access the food and water inside the feeder, you need to think of a strategic location where only the birds can get to it. One specific place in your house is on your windows. Glass windows are also a perfect place to install the bird feeders, especially if it is Velcro or suction cup-mounted.
In terms of cleaning the bird feeder, weekly cleaning is important in order to prevent the spread of diseases. Unattended bird feeders can get moldy due to leftover seeds and stagnant water plus may have a build-up of bird poop.
Where to buy window bird feeders?
You can purchase them at Walmart, Home Depot and in some pet shops. If you are going to shop online, you can find these bird feeders on Amazon.com. Their prices vary depending on the materials used and the seller.
Are window bird feeders safe?
Window bird feeders are safe as long as you clean them regularly. It is advisable that you replenish the seed and water supply daily. Weekly cleaning is also required in order to prevent the spread of diseases such as psittacosis, salmonella, Aspergillosis, bird flu, and Lyme disease.
How to attract birds to your feeders?
Attracting birds to your feeder can be quite challenging, especially if you are new to bird-watching. However, there are some tricks that you can do in order to make your feeders regularly visited by the wild birds in the area:
Install your bird feeders on a place where bees, cats, and squirrels don’t visit. You should always bear in mind that wild birds don’t like to mix with other animals, especially when they are feeding. Cats, on the other hand, are known to be prime bird hunters, so make sure that your cats cannot easily reach the bird feeders.
Another trick that you can do to ensure steady traffic of birds to your feeder is to regularly replenish the supply of seeds, fruits, nectar or mealworms on it. Birds will flock only if they see that there is a fresh supply of food and water. In order to prevent the food supply from getting contaminated, cleaning your feeders on a regular basis is a must.
Make sure that the seeds you place on the seed tray are their favorite. Depending on the birds roaming in your area, some examples of seeds that you can feed them are sunflower seeds, safflower, Niger seeds, millet, rapeseeds, and canola. You can also place fresh fruits such as orange slices, apples, grapes, and currants.
Shopping for the best window bird feeder can be a challenging task, especially if there are plenty of brands available on the market. However, if you know your specific needs, you can easily spot the one that would bring you regular traffic of birds in your area. Always remember to consider the species of the bird that you want to feed and watch and give them their favorite seeds, fruits or nectar. This way, they will always come back for more food.
Last update on 2021-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API