Imagine being able to see who’s visiting your bird feeder when you’re away from home. I always feel like the most interesting things are happening when I’m not around. There is a way to not have to miss any of the action though.
Bird feeder camera systems can record what’s happening at your feeders when you’re away from home, or even allow you to watch what’s happening live from wherever you are.
- 10 Best Binoculars For Birding: In-depth Buyers Guide
- 5 Best Digital Binoculars with Camera
- 4 Best Monocular Models for Bird Watching
Table of Contents
- Bird Feeder Camera: Here Are The 6 Best Options In 2021
- 1. Smart Bird Feeder Magnetic Bird 1080p Camera Bird House
- 2. Bird Buddy Window Bird Feeder with Smart Camera
- 3. Birdhouse Spy Cam Hawk Eye HD Camera
- 4. GoPro HERO8 Black Waterproof Action Camera
- 5. Blink Outdoor HD Security Camera
- 6. TOPVISION WiFi Trail Camera
- Where To Put Your Bird Feeder Camera
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final thoughts
Bird Feeder Camera: Here Are The 6 Best Options In 2021
- Best bird feeder camera for nest boxes: Birdhouse Spy Cam Hawk Eye HD Camera
- Best bird feeder camera for platform feeders: GoPro HERO8 Black Waterproof Action Camera
- Best budget bird feeder camera: Bird Buddy Window Bird Feeder with Smart Camera
- Easiest bird feeder camera to use: TOPVISION WiFi Trail Camera
This bird feeder with camera set includes both a bird feeder and a small wifi-enabled camera. The device easily notifies you when birds arrive so that you can view the birds at your feeder live from anywhere on your phone or computer using an app.
The bird feeder itself will work for attracting a variety of small seed-eating songbirds. The package comes with all the parts you need to assemble the feeder and attach the camera, which is quite easily done using just a screwdriver.
This is not a high-quality camera that will capture the finest images but it will allow you to identify the birds at your feeder when you are away from home. You can then easily share the images with friends and family on social media.
- 150° wide-angle lens
- Compact camera
- Can be tricky to recharge the battery with the camera attached to the feeder
- 1080p HD video
- Rechargeable battery
- Wooden bird feeder included
- Smart Bird Feeder: Natural wooden bird house with mini magnetic 1080p camera. Notifies you of feathered visitors, you can easy captures...
- Bird watching anytime, anywhere：Easy to view LIVE video on the App remotely from ANYWHERE in the world.Remote video capture, one click...
- Easy to install: magnetic camera with the internal magnet, can be adsorbed on any iron surfaces(Mini sheet iron with 3M glue as gift in the...
- Special design camera for Bird watching: Wireless hidden WiFi Mini Camera HD 1080P and 150 Degree wide angle lens, better viewing angle,...
- Perfect gift for bird and cat lovers: watch colorful wild birds up close. Easy to watch find wild birds. Suitable for finches, cardinals,...
This is another bird feeder with a camera, but this uses a window-style bird feeder. The feeder itself is attached to your window using 4 strong suction cups for a strong and stable connection. The sliding seed-tray design makes this feeder easy to clean and refill.
This wireless bird feeder camera has a magnetic mount and has a night vision function, for detecting any nocturnal visitors. Provided you connect the camera system to your home WiFi connection, you can access the footage through the app on your phone wherever you are.
If you don’t have wiFi, the camera will record footage on a memory card of up to 128 gigabytes. The camera uses a rechargeable battery but can also be run with a power bank or plugged into your home’s electrical system.
- Includes bird feeder
- Can communicate with your phone
- Battery life of just 40-60 minutes
- 150° wide-angle lens
- Easy to clean and fill acrylic window feeder
- Night vision camera
- RECEIVE IN 7-14 DAYS! Combination of feeder and smart camera. 150° Wide View Angle and night vision function help you see more of...
- THE BEST GIFT FOR BIRD AND CAT LOVERS! With a built-in viewing window and see-through acrylic design, see colorful wild birds from up close....
- SLIDING SEED TRAY MAKES IT EASY TO FILL, AND CLEAN. Dual compartment seed tray providing two different kinds of seeds or treats. With...
- BUILT-IN 250MAH BATTERY. As A mini WIFI Camera, built-in 250mah battery, fully charged, can work about 40-60 minutes. Also you can get the...
- WORKS AS A NORMAL CAMERA WITHOUT WIFI. Camera can support multiple users and one app can support multiple cameras simultaneously. This spy...
This device can be used as a bird feeder camera or to monitor the progress of nesting birds inside your bird house. This camera works best in larger bird houses like those used for baby owls and ducks because the camera focuses better at a range of at least a foot or so away from the birds.
The camera comes with 100’ of cable so you can watch from quite a distance away. The 10 LED lights produce only infrared light that birds can’t see, so you don’t have to worry about disturbing your feathered friends in the nest box.
This camera can be plugged into your TV for live viewing or viewed and recorded on your computer. You will love watching the eggs hatch and the chicks develop in your nest box with the hawkeye birdhouse spycam.
- Has night vision
- Easy to use
- Compact size
- Not wireless
- 100’ cable
- 10 LED lights
- Sound recording
- Miniature High Definition Video Cam with 700 tvl (Television Lines) measures 1.75 x 1.75 x 1""
- Built in microphone
- Brilliant Night Vision from 10 infrared LEDs
- Comes 2, 50', detachable, AV/power cables
- Simple plug 'n play connection to TV or AV compatible computer
For those birdwatchers who arent afraid to use (or learn to use) more complicated gadgets, GoPro cameras are about the best option available. These tiny cameras are so versatile, and capture such great images and footage, that bird feeder photography could soon become a full-on hobby of yours.
Of course, the GoPro doesn’t only make for a great bird watching camera but can be used for all sorts of photography and filmmaking. I won’t get into anything technical here (there’s plenty of great info on the web).
You can set your GoPro up in any way you like but a small tripod often comes in handy around birdbaths and feeders. These bird feeder cameras can be used for live streaming or to record pictures and video.
- Amazing quality images and videos
- Many upgrades and modifications available
- Might require additional equipment
- Waterproof construction
- 4K video
- Slow-motion video
- Wide-angle lens
- Wind and noise reduction
- Motion sensors
- GOPRO HERO8 BUNDLE: GoPro HERO8 Black Camera + Battery + Sleeve Lanyard features amazing HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization combines with a...
- PRO-QUALITY 4K60 + 1080p240 VIDEO: Stunning video resolution, impressive frame rates and super slo-mo combine with HyperSmooth stabilization...
- RUGGED + WATERPROOF + ADVANCED WIND NOISE REDUCTION: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO8 Black is rugged,...
- HYPERSMOOTH 2.0: The HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization—On, High and Boost—so you can pick the best option for whatever you...
- COMPATIBLE WITH GOPRO MOUNTS + ACCESSORIES: Wear it. Mount it. Love it. With over 45 compatible mounts and accessories, including mods to...
These little recorders make great wireless bird feeder cameras. They alert you when motion is detected on the camera so that you can watch your bird feeders or nest boxes live from wherever you are. These cameras are built for the outdoors, so they’ll work great no matter the conditions.
These cameras can be used to store recordings on the cloud (subscription required), or you can opt to store data on the supplied sync module. You will need a USB flash drive to access the data stored on the sync module, however.
- Easy to install
- 2-year battery life
- Some features require a monthly subscription
- Live view and recording
- Wire-free design
- Motion-activated alerts
- 1080p video resolution
- Blink Outdoor is a wireless battery-powered HD security camera that helps you monitor your home day or night with infrared night vision.
- With long-lasting battery life, Outdoor runs for up to two years on two AA lithium batteries (included).
- Store video clips and photos in the cloud with the Blink Subscription Plan and save events locally to the Blink Sync Module 2 via a USB...
- Outdoor is built to withstand the elements to help you protect your home inside or out, come rain or shine.
- Designed so you can set up yourself in minutes. No wiring, no professional installation required.
With this model, you can preview live recordings using an app on your phone. The night vision function is great for recording nocturnal creatures like owls because the infra-red lamps do not disturb their natural activities.
Although they are not designed for monitoring bird feeders, I’ve managed to capture great images and videos of all sorts of birds and wildlife with this kind of motion-activated camera. Setting these cameras up on a tripod makes getting the right shot a lot easier.
There is one secret to success with this kind of camera, however. Whether there is a bird at the feeder or not, these cameras will record movement so a swinging bird feeder on a windy day or swaying branches in the background will result in a whole lot of bird-less footage. To prevent this, set your bird feeders on a stable pole system.
- Easy to use
- Captures great footage automatically
- Bulky size
- Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity
- Water and dust-proof
- Ultra-fast 0.2s delay
- 🐴[Bluetooth WiFi Connection & APP Control] The trail camera is equipped with Bluetooth and Wifi connection function. You can preview the...
- 🐴[4K Lite Video Resolution & 24MP Clearer Photo] 4K LITE Video Resolution & 24MP Clearer Photo: The trail camera can captures 24MP crisp...
- 🐴[Lightning-0.2s trigger speeds] Once detecting the movements(the small animal activities like squirrel can also be detected),the game...
- 🐴[120° Wide Angle & IP66 Waterproof] A wide detection range of 120 degrees allows you to capture a wider range of wonderful scenes of...
- 🐴[Multiple Applications & Satisfied Customer Service] Equipped with a 2.4-inch screen, it is convenient for you to view pictures and...
Where To Put Your Bird Feeder Camera
Where you set your bird feeder camera will depend on what kind of feeder setup you have and what kind of footage you’d like to capture. You can set your camera to record activity at a bird bath, bird feeder station, or bird house. There are a few points to consider before setting it up though.
One thing you should consider is the direction of the sun’s rays in the mornings and afternoons. Cameras that are set to face west or east will capture ‘blown-out’ footage when the sun is low so I would definitely recommend setting your cameras to face north if possible for the best lighting.
Another very important factor is the minimum focusing distance of your lens. Some lenses can only capture clear images of subjects that are a foot or further away from the subject. The best way to work this out is to take a couple of test shots to figure out how your camera performs.
Lastly, remember that water droplets on the lens tend to blur the photos and videos that your cameras record. Even though all the cameras in this list are weatherproof, it is better to have your lens protected from rain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can trail cameras work for birds?
Trail cameras work great for birds, although their lenses don’t tend to focus quite as close as other bird feeder camera options. Be sure to set your trail camera at least a few feet away from the action for great pictures and footage.
Can you mount a GoPro to a birdfeeder?
Anything is possible with a little thought and planning. How you do it will depend on what kind of setup you have and what kind of footage you want to capture.
GoPros work well when attached to platform feeders. Projects like this can be much easier if you have a friend or family member who is handy with tools and technology, so don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Where can I get a bird feeder camera?
The easiest place to shop for bird feeder cameras is online because you can shop a great variety of products all from the comfort of your home while looking at reviews and comments on each. Amazon.com is a very handy online store for this.
Using a wireless bird feeder camera is great fun and allows you to enjoy watching your feathered friends when you get back home from work, or even from wherever you are, with your cell phone. Capturing great footage of your visitors is also a wonderful way to share your sightings with friends and family. Happy birdwatching!
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API