One of my favorite styles of bird feeders is the simple platform bird feeder or tray bird feeder. The open design of these feeders makes observation and maintenance so easy, so you can really enjoy watching our feathered friends.
In this article, I’ll introduce you to a few of the best platform bird feeder options for 2021, including:
- Hanging Platform Bird Feeders
- Covered Platform Bird Feeders
- Ground Platform Bird Feeders
- Top 10 Best Bird Feeding Stations – Review Of 2021
- Hanging Bird Feeder Guide 2021 – All You Need to Know
- Top 12 Best Bird Feeder Poles – Review of 2021
6 Platform Bird Feeder Comparison
Table of Contents
- Platform Bird Feeder: Best Options On The Market In 2021
- Top Picks
- 1. Wosiba Hanging Birdfeeder Platform
- 2. Solution4Patio Hanging Platform Feeder
- 3. Nature’s Way Cedar Platform Bird Feeder
- 4. Woodlink 3 in 1 Platform Bird Feeder
- 5. Droll Yankees Platform Bird Feeder
- 6. Perky-Pet Adjustable Platform Bird Feeder
- 7. Wosiba Ground Birdfeeder Platform
- 8. DutchCrafters Recycled Plastic Ground Platform Bird Feeder
- 9. DutchCrafters Covered Recycled Plastic Ground Platform Bird Feeder
- Why Choose A Platform Bird Feeder?
- Final thoughts
Platform Bird Feeder: Best Options On The Market In 2021
Best Hanging Platform Feeder-Woodlink 3 in 1 Platform Bird Feeder
Best Covered Platform Feeder- Droll Yankees Platform Bird Feeder
Best Ground Platform Feeder- DutchCrafters Covered Recycled Plastic Ground Platform Bird Feeder
The Wosiba hanging platform bird feeder has a simple but attractive design. This is a small feeder, that won’t accommodate large birds or more than one or two birds at a time, but it is a nice size for smaller songbirds.
This feeder is designed to stay rust-free while being easy to clean and refill. The steel mesh bottom is free draining, keeping the seeds dryer and fresher for longer. Being a small lightweight feeder, set it up in an area that isn’t prone to strong winds.
- Attractive design
- Easy to clean
- Small size means you’ll have to refill it often
- Few birds can access this feeder at the same time
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: The bird feeder tray is designed to attract the eye of birds and will not turn over when the birds stand on the side of...
- HIGH QUALITY: Made of durable mesh metal, sturdy and lightweight. And black powder coated for weather-resistant, will last for years to use.
- EASY TO USE AND HANG: Easy to hang and simply fill the bird seed into the feeders. And easy to clean, just turn the bird feeder tray face...
- PERFECT FOR YOUR GARDEN: Hanging a bird seed tray in your yard or garden, attract and feed birds, add a beautiful look in your garden, enjoy...
- GIFT IDEA: A unique gift for home and garden lovers or nature lovers. Hanging the bird feeder tray, attract the birds to fly into their...
This hanging platform bird feeder from Solution4Patio has a simple, straightforward design, but also gives you two separate areas for two types of food, as well as a spike for setting out fruit. What I like about this design is that it gives you the option of putting out, for example, some Safflower seed for the cardinals and other seedeaters, some mealworms for the bluebirds, and half an orange for the orioles, all on the same feeder.
Being made of pine, this feeder may need to be resealed once in a while, however, since the product comes with a 3-year warranty, one could assume it is built to last. The open design of this feeder gives you a great view to watch the birds feed, and at about 12inches long and wide, this feeder can accommodate several birds at once. This feeder has a mesh bottom for drainage, making it super easy to clean and refill.
- Simple design
- 3 feed options that can be kept separated
- Hanging wires have been reported to come loose from staples
- 🐦 EXCELLENT VIEW OF BIRDS - This sturdy platform tray bird feeder is easy for the birds to access, and appeal to the widest variety of...
- 🐦 TWO LARGE FEEDING AREA WITH NAIL - Two large feeding area allow to be compatible with many types of bird food (e.g. seed, suet, fruits...
- 🐦 EASY TO CLEAN & REFILL - The sturdy mesh bottom is powder coated promote drainage, keeps seeds dry and fresh for longer, from moisture...
- 🐦 HIGH QUALITY - It is very sturdy so would hold up to extremely bad weather. And the maximum load can reach 10 pounds.
- 🐦 GOOD SERVICE - We offer a 3-YEAR WARRANTY and providing exceptional quality products and top notch customer service! Excellent...
The Nature’s Way platform bird feeder is built from cedar, a durable timber, which means it won’t rot or be eaten by insects in a hurry. The hanging cable is coated with vinyl and the steel components of the feeder are built from rust-resistant material, meaning this feeder should last a good, long time.
This platform measures about one square foot, which means it is a good size for many birds to visit including larger birds like jays and doves. This feeder is also easy to clean and refill, making it a good all-around tray bird feeder.
- Made from cedar
- Large size
- Single compartment
- Crafted from insect and rot resistant Premium cedar with a water-based protective stain
- The Rust-Free Tray Lifts Out Easily for Cleaning, Preventing Mold and Bacteria
- Wide opening allows for easy filling and less spilling - designed to accommodate various seed mixes including Sunflower seeds, mixed seeds...
- Design allows extra spacing for large birds and attracts cardinals, Grosbeaks, Titmice, nuthatches, chickadees, Finch, Jays, Juncos and...
- Also Includes a Vinyl-Coated Steel Hanging Cable and Rust-Free Hardware
What I really like about the Woodlink 3 in 1 platform bird feeders is their versatility. Woodlink has managed to create a workable solution for a pole-mounted platform bird feeder that can still be cleaned effectively. The secret is the open floor design with a sliding mesh tray that can be removed without taking down the whole bird feeder.
This platform can just as easily be suspended, however, and it even has nifty fold-out legs to make it a ground platform bird feeder. Truly a clever design. These feeders measure about 16 inches long and 13 inches across and can accommodate many birds at once.
- Versatile platform bird feeder that can be hung, pole-mounted, or set on the ground.
- Classic attractive design
- Some maintenance may be required to reseal the wood and screen in order to prolong the life of this feeder
- The feeder is constructed of reforested, kiln dried, inland red cedar
- Powder coated metal screen bottom allows for drainage and is also removable
- Holds up to 3-pound of mixed seed
- Recommended for use with Woodlink's Pole mounting system (HDPOLE) or post mounting hardware (STMOUNT) both of which are sold separately
- Made in the usa
This covered platform bird feeder from Droll Yankees has a more modern form and design and incorporates an adjustable cover that protects the birdseed, and birds that eat it, from rain and snow. The platform itself is also free draining which helps as well.
This round design measures just under 15 inches across. The cover on these American-made feeders is height-adjustable, meaning you can set it quite low to help in discouraging larger birds like starlings. Made from UV stabilized materials, this is also a feeder that won’t be damaged by the sun.
- Has a cover to protect against rain
- Safe from squirrel damage
- Higher price tag
- FOR GROUND FEEDERS: Fly through bird feeder that is excellent for attracting ground-feeding birds like Cardinals and song birds.
- CLEAN DESIGN: Adjustable cover protects the seed from weather, while drainage holes prevent water from pooling and causing spoilage
- OUTDOOR USE: UV-Stabilized clear polycarbonate feeder tray and cover won't yellow from sunlight exposure and are dependably durable
- MADE IN THE USA: Designed, manufactured, and assembled in the USA
Perky Pets have designed this covered platform bird feeder to keep birds well-fed, and the squirrels looking elsewhere. To do this, the dome over the platform is designed to wobble when a squirrel lands on it, being quite unstable and acting as an effective squirrel baffle.
Being height adjustable, this dome can also be lowered to help discourage larger birds from hogging all the food. The dome of this feeder measures about a foot across and the platform is a little smaller. This platform incorporates a sturdy wire grate that also keeps squirrels from getting to the seed, provided the tray isn’t over-filled.
- Attractive design
- Built to keep squirrels out
- Wobbling dome may frighten birds in strong wind
- Holds up to 0.5 lb of seed
- Strong wire grate and metal base prevents access from squirrels
- Dome bounces and wobbles throwing squirrels off balance
- Height adjustable dome accommodates all bird sizes
At just 7 inches across, the Wosiba Ground Platform Bird feeder is a compact and neat option for ground feeders like doves. Constructed from steel with a black powder coating, these feeders are rust-free and free-draining, while being compact and easy to clean.
At such a small size, however, larger birds and squirrels may tip these feeders over and therefore it is best to secure them with landscape stapes or a board through the legs if necessary.
- Neat attractive design
- Easy to clean
- Easily tipped over
- MINIMALIST DESIGN GROUND BIRD FEEDER: The minimalist design creates the maximum space to allow many birds to feed on the ground at once. And...
- ATTRACT GROUND BIRDS AND SQUIRRELS: Attract wild birds or squirrels to your garden, deck or backyard, add a beautiful look in your garden,...
- HIGH QUALITY: Crafted from durable mesh metal and coated with weather-resistant black power. The ground bird feeder is sturdy and...
- EASY TO USE AND CLEAN: Put the bird feeder tray on the ground and simply fill the bird seed into the feeders. And easy to clean, just turn...
- GREAT GIFT IDEA FOR BIRD LOVERS: A unique gift for bird lovers. Put the bird feeder tray on the ground, attract the birds to fly into your...
The DutchCrafters ground platform bird feeder is a simple, solid, and practical design that will last a long time and keep many birds well fed over the years. At 12.5 inches wide, 17 inches long, and 6 inches tall, this feeder can accommodate many birds at once.
Built from recycled plastic, this material won’t rust or perish and holds up well against all weather conditions. These hand-crafted American feeders drain freely, are easy to clean, and are available in a variety of great colors to suit your style.
Of course, this design can’t really be protected from squirrels or undesirable birds apart from choosing your bird seed wisely.
- Simple long-lasting sturdy design
- Easy to clean and available in a variety of colors
- Quite expensive
- DIMENSIONS: 12.5"W x 17"L x 6"H / WEIGHT: 3 lbs. 2 oz
- REPURPOSED: Poly is made from post consumer plastic waste like milk jugs and laundry bottles.
- GROUND TRAY FEEDER WILL NOT COLLECT RAIN WATER: Built with aluminum mesh floor for rain drainage to help keep feed dry - no strip across the...
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR FEEDER: Contact us directly if you would like a custom ground feeder made for your needs
- AMERICAN MADE: Amish handcrafted in America!
At over 10lbs, the DutchCrafters covered ground platform bird feeder is a solid item, but that’s how you know it’s going to last, and that you’re getting what you paid for. Built from recycled plastic, this is an eco-friendly product.
These American hand-crafted bird feeders have a removable tray for easy cleaning. And come in a variety of colors to suit your style. This feeder measures 19 inches long by 16 inches wide and 17 inches tall and will make an attractive feature in your yard.
- Attractive design
- Built to last
- Hefty price tag
- The tray may be difficult to remove if frozen
- FEATURES: Large Size to Accommodate Many Birds, Covered Roof for Protection, Removeable Tray for Easy Clean Up, Mesh Drainage Tray,...
- DIMENSIONS: 19"L x 16"W x 17"H -- Weight: 10 lbs 2 oz
- MATERIAL: Poly Lumber, a HDPE Plastic Made from Milk Jugs and Laundry Detergent Bottles
- LOW MAINTENANCE: Poly is Easy to Clean with Mild Soap and Water
- HANDCRAFTED: Proudly Made in America by Amish Craftsmen in Indiana
Why Choose A Platform Bird Feeder?
Platform bird feeders are about the simplest design of bird feeders out there. One of the benefits of these feeders is that they are not too intimidating for the birds themselves, and they will quickly figure out how to feed on these feeders. For that reason, this style makes an ideal beginner feeder.
One of the most important features of a good platform bird feeder, or any bird feeder for that matter, is the ease with which it can be cleaned, so only use platform feeders which drain freely and remember to clean them and replace the seed regularly.
Unfortunately, in their simplest form, these feeders are completely unselective which means they can be accessed by any bird species, something those of us with starlings and other less desirable birds try to manage.
Pole Mounted vs Hanging Platform Bird Feeders
Platform feeders can be pole-mounted in a sense if you use a pole with a shepherd’s hook design. Fixing your platform feeder to a pole in other ways is likely to make cleaning more difficult, and that’s not ideal since the last thing we want is an unhygienic environment for the birds. Some designs, however, like the Woodlink 3 in 1 platform bird feeder can be fixed to a pole effectively.
If you have a lot of squirrels around and don’t want them taking all the bird seed, you’re going to want to install a baffle or two to keep them off your platform or tray feeder. If you’re hanging your feeder from a shepherd’s hook, a hanging baffle and pole baffle should be used for the best defense.
Covered vs Open Platform Bird Feeders
Open platform bird feeders are great because birds find them easily and are usually not afraid to feed on them right away. They do have some disadvantages though, especially in wet weather or during snowfalls, where a cover will provide shelter for the food, and the birds eating it.
Some designs, like the Droll Yankees platform bird feeder offer height-adjustable covers that can be set to keep taller birds like starlings out and the cover also functions as a squirrel baffle.
Ground Platform Bird Feeders
Ground platform bird feeders are the simplest design of bird feeders available. Simply set the feeder down, fill it with seeds and watch the birds enjoy their lunch. Doves, juncos, and jays are some of the birds that prefer this easy-to-clean feeder design.
The downside to these feeders is that they are almost impossible to defend from squirrels and therefore your best defense is to use something like Safflower seed that these rodents aren’t crazy about. It’s also a good idea to set these ground feeders in an open location where your cat won’t be able to ambush the visiting birds too easily.
Platform feeders are a great option for feeding a huge variety of birds. Their simple design means they tend to be solid and affordable. Remember to keep your platform bird feeder clean and enjoy all the visitors you’ll have.
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API