If you’ve ever heard of suet and wondered what exactly this wonder-food for birds is, let me explain. Suet, in its pure form, is actually animal fat, usually from around the gut of cows and sheep. Commercially available suet cakes are usually a mixture of this fat and a variety of seeds and nuts, and sometimes even dried insects and fruits.
This makes for a very manageable and tidy bird food that is high in energy. This is great for times of the year when food is hard to come by and is especially helpful leading up to and during the winter when birds are looking for rich sources of food.
- Top 10 Best Bird Feeding Stations – Review Of 2021
- Hanging Bird Feeder Guide 2021 – All You Need to Know
- Top 12 Best Bird Feeder Poles – Review of 2021
5 Best Suet Feeders Comparison
Table of Contents
- Suet Feeders: A Full Guide And Our Top Picks
- Which birds eat suet?
- 1. The Squirrel-X Squirrel Proof Double Suet Feeder
- 2. Serwanta Double Suet Bird Feeder
- 3. Nature’s Way Cedar Suet Cake Feeder
- 4. Kettle Moraine Window Mount Single Suet Cake Bird Feeder
- 5. Mac’s Suet Wild Bird Feeder
- 6. Solution4Patio USA Cedar Tail Prop Suet Bird Feeder
- 7. Nature’s Way CWF2 Upside-Down Suet Bird Feeder
- 8. Songbird Essentials Upside Down Suet Feeder
- 9. Kaytee Suet Feeder Station
- 10. C&S Hanging Suet Basket
- Suet Feeder Tips
- Final Thoughts
Suet Feeders: A Full Guide And Our Top Picks
Which birds eat suet?
A huge variety of insect and seed-eating birds enjoy snacking on suet. Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers are some of the most popular birds that are attracted to this food source. Many other birds are also crazy about this high-energy food and you can expect jays, nuthatches, thrashers, chickadees, thrushes, and wrens to stop by as well.
Now that you know what suet is and which birds feed on it, let’s take a look at some of my top picks of suet feeders available in 2021 to help you find the best suet feeder for your yard.
In its pure form, squirrels aren’t particularly crazy about suet, but since most suet cakes contain nuts and seeds, a squirrel proof suet feeder is a good investment. This cage-style suet feeder from More Birds holds 2 suet cakes, allowing small birds in to feed, but keeping pesky squirrels and bully birds out.
Made from durable, powder-coated steel, these feeders stand up well to the elements and will last a good long time. The lid of this feeder lifts off easily so you can replace the suet cakes without any fuss.
- Cage design keeps squirrels and large bully birds out
- Holds two suet cakes so you don’t have to refill the feeder too often
- Birds may become trapped inside the feeder
- Starlings are able to reach the suet
A stylish double suet bird feeder made by Sewanta that has a simple, classic design. This feeder is great for clinging birds and features an overhanging roof to keep the suet cakes shaded and sheltered from the elements.
This feeder is easy to clean and maintain and requires no tools for assembly. This feeder is built from durable, rust-proof plastic coated steel and is easily set up using the built-in steel loop.
- Durable rust-proof construction
- Holds two suet cakes which are easy to replace
- The suet cake compartment is a little deeper than necessary
- DOUBLE SUET CAKE BIRD FEEDER - Beautiful bird feeder, can hold 2 suet cakes to attract many species of tree-clinging & perching birds such...
- ATTRACTS CLINGING BIRDS -  suet cake Capacity: In the winter Fill it up with Suet or seed cakes. Oranges, Bread,nesting materials in the...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - Square design; Easy to fill with suet cakes. Door closure system secures cakes in place; EASE MAINTENANCE - change...
- PROTECTIVE ROOF - Suet cakes are excellent sources of energy and attract more wild birds. Our Roof protects the suet cake melting from...
- RUST- RESISTANT - Outdoor feeder Made of solid, durable steel with a protective plastic coating finish in extreme rain,or Snow Weather;...
This suet cake feeder from Nature’s Way is perfectly designed to feed woodpeckers and flickers, with grooved footing and a tail prop. If you’re lucky enough, you may even attract a Pileated Woodpecker to this feeder, where it will be able to cling and feed in comfort.
These feeders are constructed from durable cedar wood that has been treated against rot, mildew, and discoloration. Furthermore, they use rust-free hardware to ensure a long-lasting product. This suet bird feeder is easy to hang up securely using the included vinyl-coated steel hanging cable.
- Easy to fill with fresh suet cakes, meaning less mess and more food for the birds
- Provides great perching space and support for woodpeckers and flickers
- Squirrels are able to chew the wood
These are neat little suet feeders for birds that can be attached to windows securely using the two built-in suction cups. This feeder holds a single suet cake and is constructed from vinyl-coated wire mesh for great durability.
This small suet feeder is great for birds like Downy Woodpeckers and orioles which can be watched from any room in the house or the office.
- These feeders allow you to easily watch the birds from within your home
- Easy to install without a pole or the need for tools
- The suction cups could potentially release in very dry weather
- Attract Woodpeckers to Your Window
- 2 Powerful Suction Cups
- Vinyl Coated Wire Mesh
- Holds 1 Standard Suet Cake
- Suet Not Included
This American-made suet bird feeder has an attractive, natural look. It holds one suet cake but can also be filled with soft nesting material, which the birds will collect during the breeding season.
The nice thing about this feeder is that it comes with a suet cake, so you have everything you need in the package to start attracting and feeding the birds in your yard. The cage is PVC dipped for extra weatherproofing and durability.
- Sturdy and natural-looking design
- Comes with a handy hanging chain
- Squirrels and raccoons find this feeder easy to feed from
- Fun Addition to Backyard Bird Watching and Feeding
- Natural Wood to Attract Birds
- Natural Nesting Material Provided for Springtime Use
- Holds 1 Suet Cake
- Made in USA
This is a great-looking suet bird feeder that’s perfect for attracting beautiful birds like woodpeckers to your yard. This feeder incorporates a perch and tailboard so that woodpeckers can perch securely and feed in comfort. The wood used is American cedar which is known for its durability.
This feeder has a small roof that is more for aesthetics than anything else but will keep the suet shaded to a degree. It holds a single suet cake and is easily opened for replacements.
- Great looking suet bird feeder
- Has a perch and tailboard to support feeding woodpeckers and flickers
- Does not come with a cable or chain for hanging
- 🐦 ONE SIDE PERCH - Perch design ideal for attracting large woodpeckers like the pileated to your backyard and provides comfortable...
- 🐦 USA CEDAR - This tail prop suet feeder made of USA cedar, sturdy and durable, corrosion resistant. And cedar wood smell like a well...
- 🐦 CLASP for SQUIRREL PROOF - There is a little clasp in the cage when you fill the suet cakes that makes squirrel can not steal bird's...
- 🐦 WEATHER PRROF - Designed with roof that could keep the cakes away from rain or snow.
- 🐦 GOOD SERVICE - We offer a 3-YEARS WARRANTY and providing exceptional quality products and top notch customer service! Excellent...
These feeders are specially designed to deter unwanted visitors like grackles and blackbirds. They work because these so-called bully birds are not comfortable feeding while hanging on the bottom of the feeder like more agile birds such as nuthatches do.
This feeder is very easy to fill and is constructed from durable cedar wood and with rust-free mesh and screws. A vinyl-coated steel hanging cable is provided so set up is really easy.
- Great for attracting woodpeckers and discouraging greedy grackles
- Suet is kept shaded and dry by the roof
- Starlings are able to get to the Suet
- Upside-down design naturally eliminates nuisance birds like blackbirds and grackles that are not comfortable hanging upside-down to eat
- Made from premium cedar
- Preservative helps prevent discoloration and water damage
- Constructed with rust-free mesh and screws
- Includes vinyl-coated steel hanging cable
This upside-down suet bird feeder is made from a less traditional material, namely recycled plastic. This environmentally friendly material is long-lasting and completely weatherproof.
This feeder comes in two natural colors and fits a single standard suet cake.
- Made from durable, environmentally friendly recycled materials
- Easy to replace suet cakes through the hinged roof
- Starlings are able to get to the suet
- Unconditional 100 Year Guarantee
- Durable Construction
- Environmentally Safe
- Available in Driftwood and Hunter Green
This is a simple, straightforward design that is effective for feeding suet cakes but does not offer any of the added features of more complex designs. Probably the best selling point of the Kaytee suet feeder station is its price point. Being so affordable, you can pick up two or three of these for the price of a single ‘hi-tech’ model.
These feeders fit a single suet cake and are very easy and convenient to use. Simply hang this feeder from your bird feeding pole or bird feeding station, put in a suet cake, and enjoy watching the birds that come for lunch.
- A budget-friendly feeder which means buying a few of these is an affordable option
- Birds are quickly able to figure out how to access the suet in these feeders
- No protection from the elements
- Front of feeder swings open wide for easy, no-mess filling
- hangs easily from a tree or pole
- Coated metal wire to prevent rusting
- Kaytee Cake Feeder
- The Kaytee Suet Feeder Station work great with standard sized suet and seed cakes
This feeder manages to look great while remaining simple and easy to use. I like the sleek, tilted design of this suet bird feeder and the roof certainly helps to shade the suet and protect it from the elements.
Simply insert a standard single suet cake and enjoy watching birds like woodpeckers, flickers, nuthatches, and titmice that love this kind of feeder.
- Classy, attractive design
- Easy to hang
- Starlings are able to feed from these feeders quite easily
- Easy fill design
- Holds 3 Cakes or 1 Brick
- Attracts a wider variety of birds
- Package Dimension: 12.5"L x 8.5"W x 8.0"H
Suet Feeder Tips
All of the feeders in this guide (except for the Kettle Moraine window mount feeder) are designed to be hung from above. Ideal places to hang these feeders are from a bird feeding station, or simply from a sturdy tree branch.
One important consideration when hanging up suet bird feeders is the amount of suet you might lose to hungry squirrels if you have any in your neighborhood. One of the best ways to protect your feeders from these acrobatic rodents is to set up some squirrel baffles, and you can also check out our guide on how to keep squirrels out of bird feeders for more tips.
Suet feeders for birds are affordable and easy to use. These feeders provide a very important food source for your birds in the colder months and are definitely recommended for your yard. Enjoy watching all the birds that visit your suet bird feeders this winter!
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API