Seeing birds diving in shallow water basins, having fun frolicking in the water, and then fluttering their feathers to dry themselves is one of the most entertaining scenes in nature. Adults and kids alike will surely find pleasure in watching this. And you can have this view at home with the help of the best bird bath.
Some people opt for just putting a basin out in the garden. The problem with basins on the ground is that it also attracts other animals for a drink, such as squirrels and other rodents. And it does not provide a good view of birds taking a bath, especially when you’re inside the house. Since nothing is holding it firmly, it can get tipped over and spill, especially if big birds or rodents use it, defeating the purpose of having a safe space for drinking and bath for the birds.
Putting out a bird bath is necessary to keep the birds coming back to your garden. This assures them that your place has almost everything they need — food, drinking water, bath water and maybe even shelter. Your child (or the child in you) would definitely be delighted with this experience.
6 Best Bird Baths Comparison
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Bird Bath Reviews
- 1. Best Choice Products Outdoor Pedestal Bird Bath
- 2. Mounted Heated Bird Baths – Best Heated Bird Bath
- 3. Songbird Essentials Heated Birdbath
- 4. Burley Clay Hummingbird Bird Bath – Best Hummingbird Bird Bath
- 5. Peaktop 3216980 Solar Bird Baths – Best Solar Bird Bath
- 6. Solatec Solar Fountain – Best Solar Bird Bath Fountain
- 7. VIVOHOME Bird Bath and Solar Fountain Combo Set
- 8. Evergreen Garden Hanging Glass Bird Bath – Best Hanging Bird Bath
- 9. Sunnydaze 2-Tier Birdbath Water Fountain – Best Bird Bath Fountain
- 10. Gray Bunny GB-6876 Deck Mounted Songbird Spa
- What To Look For When Buying Bird Bath
- Other Important Factors To Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 10 Best Bird Bath Reviews
1. Best Choice Products Outdoor Pedestal Bird Bath
If you want a bird bath that looks elegant and has an antique finish, then you will love this pedestal bird bath from Best Choice Products. The Fleur-de-Lys accent at the foot of the pedestal and the fake sparrows at the top is what enticed me to this bird bath.
Although it is made of plastic, it is very durable and is heavy enough not to tip over even with several birds perched at the rim. The downside to this product is that you can’t use it during the winter. The extreme cold will make the plastic brittle, which is what happened to mine. I saw a hairline crack when winter passed and I left it out.
- Durable plastic
- Just the right weight to prevent it from tipping over
- Beautiful design and finishing
- Cannot withstand extreme cold.
- WEATHER-RESISTANT: Durable resin construction is frost- and weather-resistant to keep your yard or garden full of songbirds all year long
- FILLABLE DESIGN: Fill the hollow space in the pedestal column with sand or water to weigh down your birdbath and keep it upright for all...
- PASTORAL DECORATION: Enhance your lawn or garden with a unique, clam-shell basin, antique finish, a set of bird statues, and Fleur-de-Lis...
- DURABLE: High-density polyresin is non-reactive, lightweight, and prevents tarnishing over time in the sunlight, standing water, or crack...
- PROMOTES HEALTHY GARDENS: Attracting birds will help to aerate the soil, distribute additional nutrients, and bring in more water while...
2. Mounted Heated Bird Baths – Best Heated Bird Bath
Since my issue with the previous bird bath I mentioned is that it cannot withstand the cold, I went out and searched for one that can. Which is why I landed on this heated bird bath by Allied Precision Industries, and I’m so happy I did.
If you ask me what I love most about this bath, it’s that you can use it during the winter. It maintains the water temperature to just above freezing point, so the water doesn’t freeze over. The water doesn’t become warm to the touch, which is a good thing as birds don’t exactly like warm water.
One thing I don’t appreciate is that the bracket is very thin. It may easily break if you overextend the tilting of the basin to get rid of the dirty water.
- Prevents water from freezing during the winter
- Can be used all year long
- Basin is thick and durable
- Bracket is thin
- Heated birdbath with railing mount for year-round bathing from API
- 120-Volt heater operates at 150 watts; Power cord stores underneath the basin when not needed in hotter temperatures
- Clamp-on mounting bracket features hinge to allow users to dump the basin over to clean out stagnant water
- Color: Light stone color
3. Songbird Essentials Heated Birdbath
Songbird Essentials is one of my favorite brands when it comes to bird watching. Their heated bath is nothing short of amazing. It is very stable and has anchors on its legs to prevent it from falling over even during strong winds.
What I don’t like about this bird bath is that the basin is too shallow. It’s only a little more than an inch deep. The good news is that birds love it! But I had to refill every other day, which is a bit of a bummer.
- Prevents water from freezing over
- Can be used all year long
- Basin is too shallow
- Some assembly required .
- Beautiful double ring heater turns on at 32 degrees F
- 60 Watt thermostatically controlled and insulated foil heating element that is safely enclosed and sealed
- 1-3/8 Deep and 14-1/4 diameter.
- Guaranteed to provide your birds with water down to -20degrees F.
4. Burley Clay Hummingbird Bird Bath – Best Hummingbird Bird Bath
If you like handcrafted products, you would love this bath set made by Burley Clay. This one is made entirely of clay, which is a bit heavy. I love that it wouldn’t be overturned easily even by strong winds.
The texture is very nice and I love the painting and embossed hummingbirds. The inside of the basin has a glossy finish, and therefore adds to the reflection of the water, inviting more birds.
The only downside to this bird bath is that it can be difficult to turn the basin to lock. The clay bottom creates friction against the clay top of the pedestal. I placed a bit of oil to make it easy to twist.
- Nice design
- The pedestal is heavy enough not to be toppled easily by the wind
- Basin has a locking mechanism
- It is a twist-to-lock system, but twisting can be a bit difficult
- Beautiful handpainted Hummingbirds and flowers
- Manufactured using a unique blend of the finest clay
- Locking bird bath set
- Made in the USA
5. Peaktop 3216980 Solar Bird Baths – Best Solar Bird Bath
I like all things lovely, especially for my garden. This is why this glass birdbath looked really at home in the flowery part of my garden. I love that it even looks gorgeous at night because of the solar-powered light which illuminates the birdbath and the water. Even my guests are impressed.
What I don’t appreciate about this product is the stand. It is rather unsteady and can easily be toppled off. It happened once; luckily the glass didn’t break as it fell on soft ground. What I did was drill holes through the bottom part of the poles, placed a metal wire through them and tied each leg to a brick to prevent them from falling over.
- Has solar-powered lights
- Has a beautiful glass basin
- Looks elegant at night
- The stand is flimsy
- SOLAR POWERED LIGHT - The Birdbath has a solar powered light charges up with the sunlight and glows at night.
- BEAUTIFUL DECORATIVE DESIGN – This beautiful bird bath is finished with a Flower design, all in vibrant colors and with exquisite detail....
- MANUFACTURED USING PREMIUM FUSION GLASS – Crafted from high quality fusion glass to give this bird bath a lovely finish with a premium...
- INCLUDES: 1 Glass Plate, 1 Metal Stand. 1pc AAA NI-MH 600MAH Battery Included
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE – The package comes with easy to follow step-by-step instructions, ensuring the birdbath is extremely easy to assemble....
6. Solatec Solar Fountain – Best Solar Bird Bath Fountain
Do you know what attracts birds to a bird bath more than anything? It’s a shower of water. And if they see that your birdbath can give them a “shower”, they would absolutely head over. This is why this Solar Powered Bird Bath by Solatec is one of the biggest hits in my garden.
The day I installed it on a pedestal bird bath and it immediately doubled the number of birds. They seem to enjoy seeing the splashing of water.
The only downside to this unit is that it won’t work if there is only partial sunshine or if part of the panel gets covered by leaves. Also, this is not a bird bath but an accessory to a bird bath.
- Attracts more birds to your bird bath
- The fountain can go as high as two feet
- Does not include a bird bath
- Works only when it gets direct sunlight
- Eco Friendly: It is an extremely competent solar panel. It is controlled with solar power completely. It does not need battery or...
- Sprayer for Different Water Style: There are 4 different types of nozzle heads attached with the pump itself. It helps to change the height...
- Multiple Applications: This eco friendly solar pump is perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, garden, water circulation for...
- Floating Fountain Pump: It is very easy to use. You just have to do is, make the pump float on the water. Once the solar panel gain...
- Suggestion: Make sure you have put enough water in the fountain so that the pump can stay entirely under the water. You should clean the...
7. VIVOHOME Bird Bath and Solar Fountain Combo Set
I have always loved antique styled bird baths as they add glamour to my garden. Which is why I fell in love at first sight with this birdbath by VivoHome. Furthermore, it has its own solar-powered fountain set!
I firmly believe that water fountains attract birds more, and I wasn’t disappointed with this product’s performance. Add that to the fact that the pedestal and basin are all made of weather-resistant polyresin, which means it can be used all year long without cracking or getting damaged.
The one thing I don’t like about this set is the suction cup. It should be able to keep the panel and fountain from floating away and spraying water outside the bath, but it wouldn’t stick to the bottom of the basin.
- Has its own solar-powered fountain (sprays up to 2 feet)
- Has a beautiful copper finish and ornate design
- Suction cups to keep the solar fountain in place doesn’t work
- COMBO SET - Package include 1 garden birdbath and 1 solar-powered water fountain pump; A gorgeous addition to your garden, patio, yard,...
- DURABLE MATERIAL - The birdbath is made of weather-resistant polyresin with a beautiful design and finish, tough and durable for many years...
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN - The birdbath is very lightweight, so you can move this bath to the perfect spot effortlessly; For additional stability,...
- SOLAR POWERED FOUNTAIN - It is solar-powered and environmentally friendly, taking energy directly from the sun to propel water into the air;...
- MULTIPLE WATER PATTERNS - Multiple fountain heads for different water patterns; Easy assembly and exchanging of heads; Please kindly ensure...
8. Evergreen Garden Hanging Glass Bird Bath – Best Hanging Bird Bath
If you want a simple yet elegant birdbath, this one from Evergreen might just be the right one for you. It has a Tiffany-inspired design which glistens in the sun and attracts more birds. It looks like a work of art.
What I love most about this birdbath is that it sturdy. It is well-balanced and I can hook it up to a branch or a pole. It is deep enough so I didn’t have to add water frequently. It is likewise easy to clean and maintain.
The only downside to this birdbath is that it breaks when the water freezes during winter. I bought two and one of them broke, so I immediately brought the other one in before it shatters.
- Has a beautiful design
- Has a deep basin
- Easy to clean
- Not weatherproof
- FEATHERED FRIENDS WILL FLOCK: Lure colorful, friendly birds to your garden with these beautiful, artisan glass hanging bowls
- ARTISTICALLY DESIGNED: You'll love this colorful, crafted glass design inspired by the beauty of nature, It will catch the light and add...
- EASY TO INSTALL: Included chain hangs approximately 20 inches. Simply hang and enjoy!
- DUO DESIGN: Holds up to 3 cups of seed or water - use it as a bird bath or feeder! Simply rinse the dish to clean and fill with a snack for...
- BIRD LOVER? Click our Brand Name to explore more birding options! We've got everything you need in a variety of well crafted, durable and...
9. Sunnydaze 2-Tier Birdbath Water Fountain – Best Bird Bath Fountain
If you are looking for a bird bath that has the “old” look, this two-tiered bird bath would be perfect for you. It has a stone finish that makes it look like it should be placed on some castle grounds. It is beautifully made and is actually my favorite bird bath.
This pedestal bird bath is actually made from durable polyresin and fiberglass. It has a pump that drives water up from the lower basin to the top basin, forcing it to overflow and spill water down to the lower basin.
If there’s one thing I don’t like about this bird bath, it’s that it can be toppled over by a really strong wind. I had to find L-shaped hooks to keep it on the ground steadily.
- Made of durable polyresin and fiberglass
- Has a water pump
- Has two basins
- Has an elegant design
- Can get toppled over by strong winds
- Attractive addition to your landscape: This beautiful outdoor fountain will add elegance and charm to your porch, deck, or landscape;...
- Durable resin that's built to last: The beveled flower waterfall feature is made of polyresin and fiberglass to ensure your patio water...
- Creates relaxing water sounds: Sit back, relax, and enjoy the soothing sounds that the zen garden fountain creates as water gently cascades...
- Easy to set up: Waterfall fountain requires no plumbing and plugs into a standard electrical outlet for easy & quick assembly; Features spin...
- 1 year warranty: Sunnydaze Decor backs its products with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty for worry-free purchasing
10. Gray Bunny GB-6876 Deck Mounted Songbird Spa
If you want the birds to come closer, there’s no better way than placing their bird bath right at your deck. Gray Bunny offers this deck mounted bird bath which can be installed in as little as two minutes!
What I love most about this product is that it is very easy to install, detach and clean. The plastic bowl can easily be pick-up, wash and placed back. The bowl is deep enough for birds to enjoy having a quick dip.
The only disappointing aspect of this product is that the wind can blow the basin away, especially when the water has dried up halfway down. As I can’t always monitor if it has more than half a bowl of water to keep it from getting blown over, I had to drill a hole on one side of the lip and tie it with a metal wire to the bracket.
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean
- The basin is too lightweight and can get blown away
- FLEXIBILITY: Deck mounted birth bath bowl \ water dish comes with an adjustable clamp that fits to decks up to 2 inches thick. No tools...
- GREAT GIFT IDEA: A great gift idea for parents, nature lovers and children. Maintaining the bath becomes an enjoyable activity that's great...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Heavy duty cast iron clamp hanging kit and polypropylene bowl. Rust-free and made to last for years even in tough weather....
- GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding the highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer...
What To Look For When Buying Bird Bath
Most birdbaths are the same. Hence, when buying a bird bath, it is not just the physical aspects of a product that you need to look into, but how exactly you want to use it. In that sense, if you want to find the ultimate bird bath for your garden or patio, you should keep in mind the following aspects:
Think about where you will place it
This is important as not all bird baths work for every space. For instance, if you want to place it in the middle of the garden with no trees or posts around, you can’t buy a hanging or deck mounted bird bath, right? For this purpose, you would need a pedestal birdbath. Also, if your area has a lot of concrete or stones, don’t use a glass bird bath as it might shatter if it gets toppled over by the wind or other animals.
Think about the kinds of birds you are buying the bird bath for
If you want to attract hummingbirds, bluebirds, finches and other small birds, a hanging bird bath may be enough. But if you have large birds like woodpeckers in your area, you should get a pedestal or mounted bird bath as these can handle the weight of such birds.
Consider the season when you’ll use the bird bath
If you want to put out water for the birds the whole year long, you should use a heated birdbath so that the water won’t freeze over when winter comes. Just turn it off during the warmer seasons. You should also use a weatherproof product if you intend to use it for the entire year.
Look at its aesthetics
Attracting birds is a priority, so it should look enticing enough for our feathered friends. They should also look nice for you and your guests to appreciate. After all, it is a garden accessory that you are using to make your garden be more nature-friendly.
Consider the make
Since this is an outdoor product, it should be durable and can withstand the sun, wind, and rain. Have a look at what materials it is made of, and if it has metal parts if that part is stainless or at least powder-coated.
Think about the ease of use
A bird bath should be a set-it-and-leave-it item. You should only have to touch in when you need to refill or clean its parts. Since you are providing water for wild birds, the basin must be easy to clean so that you won’t inadvertently cause infections and diseases among our avian friends.
Your considerations on what to look for therefore depends on how the bird bath will be used, so make sure to think about that.
Other Important Factors To Consider
What is a bird bath?
A bird bath is a special tool used to encourage birds to clean themselves in. If you are in a rural area, a bird bath will come in handy as wild birds find it hard to search for clean sources of water to drink and bathe in.
How does it work?
The mechanism is simple. A bird bath includes a shallow basin to place water in, and a stabilizer to make sure the basin doesn’t tip over and spill the water or cause injuries to the birds.
Some bird baths have additional features such as accessories to attract birds.
What are the different types of bird bath?
The most common types of bird baths based on their set-up design are as follows:
- Pedestal – this type has a stand that holds the bowl up. The pedestal would usually be made of either metal, plastic or clay.
- Clip-on or Deck-mounted – this one has a metal frame and clamp that must be attached to a deck or railing. The metal frame holds the basin.
- Hanging – this type makes use of either a fiber rope, a plastic rope or a metal string to keep the basin hanging on a hook or pole.
Why do you need bird bath?
As previously mentioned, just using any typical water container with a wide mouth for a brim is not enough. What if it tips and falls over? It will become useless. A bird bath is designed to be stable and to accommodate multiple birds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best bird bath brands?
The following are the most well-known and reliable bird bath brands in the market:
- Songbird Essentials
- SunnyDaze Decor
- Gray Bunny
- Evergreen Garden
These brands produce high-quality garden decors that last a long while, especially bird baths.
How to attract birds to bird bath?
You can attract more birds to your bath with the help of the following:
- Colorful design – many birds, such as hummingbirds, finches, and orioles, are attracted to color. Having a colorful basin or accessory can catch a bird’s attention.
- Bird food – place a bird feeder near the bird bath (or vice versa) so that they know where to go if they want to drink or take a dip. Just make sure the bird bath is not too close to catch bird droppings or seeds when the birds feed.
- Additional accessories – you can place a water fountain or pump to make the water flow. When the sun shines on moving water, it creates a reflection that often catches the attention of birds.
Where to place bird bath?
You can place it in the middle of the garden (if you have a pedestal bird bath), or attach it to your railings (if you have a deck-mounted one). If you have the hanging type, you can hang it on a bird pole hook, or at a hook in your patio.
You can station it near a bird house and a bird feeder, but don’t place it directly under any of the two so that it won’t catch poop.
How to clean bird bath?
Most bird baths are basin types, so cleaning is easy. Just remove the old water, and refill.
Every couple of weeks, make sure to wash it with a mix of water and detergent to remove grime and other dirt. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly to remove any trace of soap. After this, refill it again with water.
Where to buy?
You can easily find one at your local pet shop, or at PetCo or Pet Smart. Sometimes, you can get one at Home Depot, Lowe’s or Wal-Mart. However, if you have a specific brand or unit in mind, the best place to shop is at Amazon.com.
Based on my experience, using the best bird bath helped me improve the popularity of my garden with other birds. It seemed like birds tell other birds to come and see my place as it has food and water for their everyday needs. And I am happily surprised with the different types and different colors of birds that come and go every single day.
My garden has become a delight for bird photographers and watchers like me. If you want this to happen to your yard as well, go ahead and try any of the products I mentioned above and be happily surprised by the results as I was.
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API