Fresh and clean water can be difficult for birds to find. This gives all the birdwatchers a chance to make their garden a one stop shop for much-needed refreshment. All the while enjoying the up close spectacle of these wild feathered creatures bathing and drinking.
There are many bird baths, fountains and bird bath bowls out there. However, if you wish to spare your time refilling them every other day, there’s an option of going for a bird water feeder. These bird water sources come with a water bottle or mason jar that can be filled and will automatically refill water for your feathered friends to enjoy.
- 7 Types Of Bird Feeders: Here’s How To Choose
- 10 Best Bird Feeders: Bird Watching Expert Buyer’s Guide in 2021
- Top 15 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders – Review of 2021
Table of Contents
- Why Choose A Bird Water Feeder?
- 5 Best Bird Water Feeders Review
Why Choose A Bird Water Feeder?
Compared to a regular bird bath, a bird water feeder needs less refilling. The system is simple and easy to use – wild bird water feeders come with a water bottle attached to a water bowl and water from the bottle constantly refills the bowl.
It’s a win-win for you and your birds. They will enjoy fresh water daily and you will spend less time refilling and washing your bird bath. That’s the case especially if you choose a water feeder with a bigger size bottle. On the other hand, smaller options with mason jars might better complement your garden visually.
5 Best Bird Water Feeders Overview
5 Best Bird Water Feeders Review
1. Perky-Pet 780 Water Cooler Bird Waterer: Best Overall
Similar to a workplace water cooler, this bird waterer functions the same way – like a hot hangout spot for chit-chat and a refreshing beverage. It’s one of the largest bird water feeders on the market. The durable plastic water bottle provides a generous 1.5-quart (48-ounce) capacity. It also has an easy-grip side handle for convenient filling and carrying.
This Perky-Pet water bottle bird feeder comes with a flat-bottomed water tray with a wrap-around perch so birds can linger and enjoy the fresh water. The package also includes a loop up top for easy hanging. Ideally, hang it in a shade so the water doesn’t get too hot.
- Large capacity
- Bottle that’s easy to handle and carry
- Water tray has a wrap-around perch – easy for birds to grip on
- Not the most aesthetically pleasing design
- Watch as birds gather around the water cooler for a drink
- Attract more birds by offering water
- Water stays clean and fresh inside inverted water reservoir
- Holds 48 oz of water
2. Juegoal Glass Wild Bird Waterer: Best Design
If a plastic water container won’t fit with your garden aesthetics, go for the glass one. While there are many options on the market, this is the top seller backed with a lot of great reviews. The water container comes with generous capacity – you can fill it with 37 ounces of water. It can even be washed in the dishwasher making the cleaning effortless.
It has a strong and durable metal handle that you can use to hang the bird water feeder. It can also be placed on a flat surface or even your patio floor. Installing will be a breeze also – all you need to do is to rotate the glass container into the base until it is fixed.
- Glass container for better design
- Large capacity
- Can be washed in the dishwasher
- The water tray might be too small for larger birds
- Large Capacity Wild Bird Waterer: Gray-blue Water Cooler features 22 Ounce water/nectar glass container, durable ABS plastic base, wire...
- Offering Water to Wild Bird: This waterer makes an excellent compliment to bird feeders. By offering water in addition to a food source, you...
- Easy to Install: Rotate glass container into the base until it is fixed. With metal hanger, this Bird Waterer could be easily hung on the...
- Easy to Refill & Clean: Simply screw the container off the base for cleaning or refilling. Then you are ready to feed the wild birds
- Note: While the glass container can go in the dishwasher, we recommend cleaning it by hand.
3. Perky-Pet Mason Jar Wild Bird Waterer: Amazon Best Seller
Looking for a more rustic yet classic look? This can be the right choice for your garden. The water bottle comes in a blue color reminiscent of vintage blue glass canning jars used in the 1800s. You can fill it with 32 ounces of water and the water bottle can be washed in a dishwasher.
The waterer is a breeze to fill and clean, just unscrew the bottle from the base, fill it with water, and screw the base back into place. Compared to most of the bird water feeders that have a plastic base, this one has a more sleek-looking metal one. The base has a circular perch that invites birds to linger at your wild bird water feeder for a bit longer.
- Rustic, vintage design
- Metal base
- Easy to refill and clean
- Some buyers report the blue glass tint peeling off after a while
- 32 ounce water capacity
- Blue antique Mason Jar style bottle
- All metal base and feeding ports. Bird Feeder Type: Seed Feeder
- Circular perch invites birds to sit and dine
- Glass water container with embossed bird detail
4. Perky-Pet Droplet Bird Waterer: Unique Design
For a more original design, go for this Perky-Pet water droplet-shaped bird water feeder. This durable plastic waterer has a 32-ounce capacity and a flat-bottomed water tray with a wrap-around perch will be comfortable for the birds to hang around.
The main feature of this hanging bird water feeder is the raindrop-shaped water reservoir that looks almost futuristic. The manufacturers didn’t only think of an original design – it’s also easy to use and maintain. The water reservoir is transparent so you can always make sure your birds don’t run out of water. Refilling is also very easy – just detach the base, turn it upside down, and pour water in through the wide-mouth opening.
- Original design
- Easy to assemble and refill
- Made from durable plastic
- A bit tricky to clean the narrow pointed end
- Attract more birds with water
- Unique water droplet design
- 1 Qt water capacity
- Constructed of durable plastic
5. Shrdaepe 30 oz. Hummingbird Feeder: Best To Attract Hummingbirds
Are you lucky to live in an area where there’s a chance of welcoming hummingbirds? You should consider getting a water feeder specific to these tiny, colorful birds.
Unlike many birds, hummingbirds don’t often visit bird baths or other water sources to drink. Instead, they get all the water they need from the nectar they feed on. They still need to bathe, though, so you might see them visit very shallow bird baths. However, to make sure that they visit your garden more frequently you can set up a hummingbird water feeder with a larger capacity water bottle.
This Shrdaepe hummingbird water feeder has a classical design with red plastic top and base with 30 ounce capacity and 6 yellow flower ports to attract hummingbirds to the nectar. Yes, as I mentioned before you shouldn’t fill a hummingbird feeder just with water – to keep your backyard hummingbirds happy you should prepare nectar for them. All you have to do is mix four parts water to one part sugar. You can also use a store-bought hummingbird nectar that’s already mixed and prepared for your hummingbirds.
- Will attract hummingbirds
- Large nectar capacity
- Built-in double lid that helps to keep nectar fresh
- All plastic design might not be everyone’s cup of tea
- NECTAR PROTECT: Fill the top double lid with water to protect the sweet nectar.
- HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER DIMENSIONS: Hummingbird feeder measures 12" in height by 6.88" diameter.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Wide detachable bottle makes it easy to clean and fill the feeder. Clear hummingbird feeder makes knowing when to refill the...
- CLASSIC DESIGN: Plastic bottle hummingbird feeder with red plastic top and base and 6 yellow flower ports to attract hummingbirds...
- LARGE NECTAR CAPACITY: This hummingbird feeder can hold up to 30-ounces of hummingbird nectar to keep you hummingbird full and happy.
Do you have experience with any of these bird water feeders? While doing my research I’ve found the Perky-Pet 780 Water Cooler Bird Waterer to be the number one with its large capacity water tank. However, it has quite a basic design so for more eye-catching designs check out the rest of these automatic bird water feeders.
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API